Lowe's - Most upper management was very helpful, but human resources needs to get their priorities straight. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

"Most upper management was very helpful, but human resources needs to get their priorities straight."

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Gladstone, MO
Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Gladstone, MO

I worked at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Identified employees who were doing a good job.
Plenty of hours for a summer seasonal employee.
Atmosphere was very friendly most of the time.

Cons

I was told that I had been switched from seasonal employee to part time employee after the summer was over, and I was going to be welcomed back after I returned from school in the winter. (Lived with parents during the summer and away from home for college.) I contacted them during the winter, and the human resources manager said that they had enough employees at the time and I was not needed, but she would let me know if someone called in sick or wanted a day off... No calls were received by me during the month I was back in town. I returned to schedule a meeting about summer employment during my spring break and the HR manager was on vacation. I called her when she got back into town on Thursday, but she was too busy to meet with me for the rest of the week. She asked me to come in on Monday, but I had to go back to school, so I scheduled our meeting for the next Saturday. I drove two and a half hours to meet with her to discuss my summer employment, and all she said when I got there was that I was removed from their employee list because of convenience to them for an accurate head count, and I should reapply online. She could have told me that over the phone when I scheduled the meeting. I was shown that human resources does not value good help or respect the time of current/prospective employees.

I had stopped a thief the summer before and did duties exceeding my job description such as assembling grills and cleaning bathrooms as needed.

Advice to Management

Keep track of your good seasonal employees so you have good help each summer. Even if it takes a little bit more paperwork, good, friendly employees generate return customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "Great for advancement."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lowe's is a team oriented, customer service focused enviornment. There is a lot of room for advancement into Sales Specialist and Department Manager positions for hard workers who are not afraid to put in the time and effort to make their stores better. They have excelent saftie policies, good training, and a great support system. Benifits include ok health care, 4.25% match to 6% 401k, and stock purchase plan at 15% below market.

Cons

Staffing in lower budget stores is not always effictive to provide the amount of customer service that is demanded by the company. Employee motivation can be an issue when the right management team is not in place.

Advice to Management

I would look into shifting some man-power from higher dollar/lower foot traffic stores to lower dollar/higher foot traffic stores in order to service customers better.

2. "2nd week on the job and still impressed"

Current Employee - Garden Center Employee in Watertown, NY
    Current Employee - Garden Center Employee in Watertown, NY

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is great compared to other large companies. Expectations are clearly expressed, and communication about major upcoming changes seem to be communicated well in advance giving time for employees to prepare their departments.

Cons

A one hour mandatory lunch if your shift is over 6 hours. I come from a non-retail world where lunch and breaks were just long enough to be refreshing and then get back to work. The lunch is too long however that might be a state law I am unaware of.

Advice to Management

Im only 2 weeks in and I really do not want to share my million dollar ideas in an anonymous format, but what I can tell so far: the colleagues I have seen in leadership roles are doing a great job at fostering growth in their employees, upper management is competent and have a great eye for talented individuals, and they like to see employees work their way up into more challenging roles.