Lowe's - seems like one of the best big boxes to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

"seems like one of the best big boxes to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Simi Valley, CA
Current Employee - Customer Service in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

part time benefits, decent wage, clean stores. reasonably flexible, 401k, vertical and horizontal movement, good corporate culture, most associates want to work and move up with the company.

Cons

competitive associates trying to make it to salary.in my 5 years i never went to a product knowledge seminar. management prefers employes that are grunts when it comes to stocking and cleaning far more than a true customer service oriented individual.

Advice to Management

adapt merchandise to local preferences. don't promote based on seniority, promote the best person. much more emphasis on product knowledge.

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "Fun, good hours, easy work."

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is easy to work with and understanding of personal needs like college classes/ second jobs. Customers are generally appreciative and don't just assume they know more than you when it comes to your department.

Cons

HR was very difficult to contact. A few customers were absolutely terrible to work with, but they are very rare, for me it was only 3 bad experiences at work in a year.

Advice to Management

HR should be easier to contact in general.

"Most upper management was very helpful, but human resources needs to get their priorities straight."

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Gladstone, MO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Gladstone, MO

I worked at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Identified employees who were doing a good job.
    Plenty of hours for a summer seasonal employee.
    Atmosphere was very friendly most of the time.

Cons

I was told that I had been switched from seasonal employee to part time employee after the summer was over, and I was going to be welcomed back after I returned from school in the winter. (Lived with parents during the summer and away from home for college.) I contacted them during the winter, and the human resources manager said that they had enough employees at the time and I was not needed, but she would let me know if someone called in sick or wanted a day off... No calls were received by me during the month I was back in town. I returned to schedule a meeting about summer employment during my spring break and the HR manager was on vacation. I called her when she got back into town on Thursday, but she was too busy to meet with me for the rest of the week. She asked me to come in on Monday, but I had to go back to school, so I scheduled our meeting for the next Saturday. I drove two and a half hours to meet with her to discuss my summer employment, and all she said when I got there was that I was removed from their employee list because of convenience to them for an accurate head count, and I should reapply online. She could have told me that over the phone when I scheduled the meeting. I was shown that human resources does not value good help or respect the time of current/prospective employees.

I had stopped a thief the summer before and did duties exceeding my job description such as assembling grills and cleaning bathrooms as needed.

Advice to Management

Keep track of your good seasonal employees so you have good help each summer. Even if it takes a little bit more paperwork, good, friendly employees generate return customers.