Lowe's - Good company. Not perfect, but good. Mostly. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

"Good company. Not perfect, but good. Mostly."

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have pretty good pay, especially for retail, and they schedule you for a lot of hours as part time if you work the summer. For the most part, people are pretty friendly at my store. Management doesn't care if you joke around a little bit during work hours as long as you still get your job done. There is a very strong emphasis on workplace safety, which I appreciate. And the management is usually pretty good about giving recognition to people who are doing a good job.

Cons

The schedule. Oh my goodness. It's a nightmare. Weeks are from Saturday to Friday, and as full time, you are guaranteed two days off in that time period. They are not necessarily together, and they only on the weekend once a month or so (welcome to retail). And your shift doesn't stay the same. I usually either open (6am-3pm) or close (2pm-11pm), with very few mid shifts (9am-6pm). I don't mind the lack of mid shifts, and while I'm not a huge fan of closing, I can deal with that. And I actually like opening because that means I get out really early. I just *don't* like opening the day after I had to close. I live half an hour away from my store. If leave work, get home and go straight to bed, I'll get at most five hours of sleep before I have to wake up and go back in to work. This isn't supposed to happen, but it does sometimes, and you can't get them to change it for you. You have to do it yourself and find someone who wants to switch one of those shifts with you. Which isn't always possible. And is usually a pain.
Also, you never really know what days of the week you'll have off, which makes it exceedingly hard to participate in any groups that meet on a weekly basis, since you'll almost certainly have to work at that time at least once or twice a month. And if you work full time, you have to have open availability (i.e. you ask not to be scheduled at certain times on certain days).

Advice to Management

Make schedules easier to predict. I realize that it's just a repeating four or five-week schedule, and you'll always get the same days off, but why is it necessary to have such a confusing scheduling system? Can't you just hire openers, mid shifters and closers? Wouldn't that be much simpler and easier? Wouldn't that improve morale? This is literally my only real complaint with Lowe's. And it would be so easy to fix.

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "lowes garden cashier"

Pros

good pay, nice coworkers, good hours

Cons

being a garden cashier during summer sucks 107 weather and a cheap fan :(

Advice to Management

nice people

2. "cashier"

Pros

The pros of the job were decent money and I had some great co workers to spend the day with. Overall not a bad job.

Cons

Low pay. I was part time and was did not receive a raise in the year i was there which was disheartening.