Lowe's - Good | Glassdoor

"Good"

Current Employee - Administrative/Customer Service Department Manager
Current Employee - Administrative/Customer Service Department Manager

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay, lots to learn

Cons

company is not as family oriented anymore

Advice to Management

take time to listen to your team and really find out how you can help them achieve their goals...can not always expect us to do it alone

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "Offered more than I expected for sales specialist, but expect more than they describe..."

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better culture than competitors, professional atmosphere, mgmt. interested in sales support...

Cons

Get a good opening offer - raises are minimal/nonexistent... Relies heavily on core staff and largely indifferent to spending on more staff to meet cust. sat. expectations... Variable schedule can be exhausting, depending on support staff..

Advice to Management

Customers get angry mainly due to lack of staff coverage... Stop hiring extra seasonal 'bodies' who barely get trained enough to be useful before they are laid off -- and then think the store is 'staffed fully'... Customers expect much more continual, trained staff in the departments than the store provides... Contributes to stress and morale problems... Relatively low investments in more customer service associates to assist more highly trained sales reps would justify the investment and the supposed interest in customer service/shopping experience.

2. "Moving in the wrong direction - makes no attempt to listen to employees"

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid marketing and generally quality products. Services are suffering. Day to day people are nice and its a decent place to work.

Cons

In the past year, staff and staff compensation has been slashed. Quality senior people leaving, stores chronically understaffed. Many infrastructure issues with items that should be non-issues like IT (antiquated / slow software) and phone system (unreliable). Ask someone about their iPhone purchase.

Advice to Management

I know it's retail and the "customer is always right" even when they're not. But there is a point at which this goes too far and causes the store to lose credibility and it insults the employees intelligence and sense of fairness. As many reviewers have pointed out Lowes frequently crosses this line and allows customers to abuse their policies at the expense of employees. I don't mean to toot my own horn but I am one of a small group of store employees that are not typical retail employees. My department designs home renovations. We use a sophisticated computer design system, we need to understand building codes, read blue prints, and advise contractors at the construction site, I love the job and I'm very good at it. My department drives millions of high margin sales to the store and builds brand loyalty. My work requires much more than 40 hours a week. I have to make myself highly available to customers and contractors so I give out my cell and home number. I do it because I like getting the job done right. I have a degree in computer science and an MBA. There are SO many things that the store can do better but in the 4 years I've worked I have never had a single opportunity to provide any feedback. Lowes doesn't talk to people on the front line, and incredibly doesn't have any infrastructure for doing so. I'd like to believe they care about the job I do but last year after leading the region with record level sales, everyone in my department (and similar departments) had their compensation slashed without notice.