Lowe's - Excellent employer | Glassdoor

"Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, excellent benefits, great potential to move in company

Cons

In my experience with the company, i have no cons to explain

Advice to Management

Believe in your people. if you take care of the employee, the employee will take care of the company

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

"Loved this PT job as interim recession employment while going to school."

Former Employee - Weekend Team Member in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Weekend Team Member in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a good management team at my location - only one aloof ASM.
    Very flexible w/ scheduling while I was updating professional training.
    Made me feel like a valuable contributor to the team.
    Good informational training for less familiar store departments.
    Went to Weekend Team for a while even after taking a full time job- would probably still be there except for the Friday night hours which were just too much.
    Enjoyed working the whole store which used all my construction background and gardening interest knowledge.

Cons

I was told by other employees that my pay scale for the job and my raises were unusually high - that's not good news, since I considered the wage marginal and the raises humorous. It was only alright for a flexible, very temporary job in a very bad economy.
    As all retail, hard on the body.

Advice to Management

The job market is WAAAY better now. Corporate management should be encouraging, recognizing, and rewarding store management that is recruiting and referring high quality PT help into FT employees even if at other Lowe's store locations. Proven employee capabilities and people already trained in Lowe's procedures. In my area, it seemed almost a mark against an employee that applied to another location unless it was a top managerial position.

"Store level positions highly dependent on store leadership. Most have no culture."

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for retail industry. Rotational scheduling helps balance quality of life. Benefits above average.

Cons

Homogenized, bland, semi-professional corporate culture trickles to the store level. "lowes experience of the future" (their latest corporate mantra/change initiative) is a giant lipservice and waste of resources. Senior leaders have good intentions but are often far too disconnected. The store level leadership varies wildly from store to store, and often is plagued by uneducated but experienced "managers" (note: not leaders).

Advice to Management

LEF is a complete disaster. Move on.
    Value leadership and engagement from line level leaders, not seniority or process knowledge. Lowe's needs ground-roots cultural change - from a process/task oriented company to a service-oriented company. This will not happen by drawing cartoons of the lowe's hot air baloon sinking into the "sea of sameness" (No, i'm not making that up.) The lack of culture is apparent in every "opstalk" broadcast by a vp/director completely lacking enthusiasm and personality and boils down to a robotic culture of task-based management in the stores.
    Lowe's will continue to thrive on economic indicators and a long-term rebound in housing investment and confidence. This is NOT due to leadership - this is due to circumstance and the fact that regional competitors still have no collaborated into enough buying power to challenge HD and Lowe's. In time, regional competitors and online vendors will make it far more challenging.