Lowe's - Working at Lowe's | Glassdoor

"Working at Lowe's"

Former Employee - Various in Alexandria, VA
Former Employee - Various in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lowe's is a stable retail company to work for. They offer promotional opportunities for sales oriented, hard working associates that can work in a team environment, display good customer service stills and good time and attentance. They have good benefits for part time and full time associates.

Cons

As with most retail establishments you are ususally required to work various shifts which make it hard on your family time. Although they do offer benefits for associates they are not as good as could be. Insurance for part time associates is hardly working taking and the insurance for full time associates is getting worse each year. Their mentoring and training programs for internal associates really need to be given more attention. This would improve the quality of staff by making them ready for the next step in their career with Lowe's thus improving moral - which in turn promotes better customer service and thus helping ensure a solid bottom line for the company! The pay rate needs a little attention and this would improve tenure.

Advice to Management

I have visited your corporate facilities and if you trimmed some of the fat there and utilized those funds at the store level your bottom line would increase drastically. The pay for store associates should not have such a low cap on it. You are seriouly hurting those associates with longevitiy some people make great cashiers, or hourly associates and that is what they will be good at their entire life. You will save on the bottom line by not having to rehire and retain so often. (Look at the Costco some of their cashiers make more than $20/hr). The stores need to be updated in many regards. The stores don't even have updated computers, training facilities or lunch rooms. REALLY, the associates have to sit on broken chairs to work, train and eat! Where as the corporate office is over done with such! Has anyone from corporate looked at the speciality sales desks or chairs recently... Improve the image at the store level for ALL ! Customers should never be expected to sit in such old chairs, at old desks and talked into spending thousands of dollars - this should be your next big drive and I really believe your pockets would be fuller! OH YES and most important, TRAIN AND PROMOTE FROM WITHIN... if you can't find someone trainable and promable from within, your management team is not doing their job! Not everyone is promotable, but once again look at Costco, not Home Depot! As you know this would improve employee moral, thus providing better customer service and increasing the bottom line... SOUND FAMILIAR!

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "My experience has been great"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits for the employees i must say

Cons

Gruesome hours may stay longer than expected

"a decent place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seaford, DE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seaford, DE

I worked at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Very flexible with schedule. let me take a 2 month personal leave and work around school
    2) Helpful coworkers and friendly management (for the most part)
    3) Ability to advance fairly easily
    4) Forces you to learn lots of useful things about plants, building materials, etc

Overall good. Just not the job for me.

Cons

1) Many people were being paid MUCH less than me despite their product knowledge and relevant experience. It seems that having a bachelors degree gives you a few extra bucks. I admitted to no product knowledge and no retail experience during the interview.
    2) Policies often change and no one is notified. I've had department managers yell at me for something that I am allowed to do. I have to get management or installed sales to correct them.
    3) ASMs KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE COMPUTERS. As a part time employee, I have showed them how to do an installed sale (they tried to do it through genesis), order products, price audit, etc.
    4) No training.
    5) Harassment from racist and misogynistic customers more than any other job I've had
    6) High turnover rate for ASMs and GMs but not so much for regular employees
    7) Randomly cuts hours or lays seasonal and part time people off because they can't make payroll.

Advice to Management

Please learn how to do simple things like work the cash if you want me to respect you.