Lower Colorado River Authority - I learned quite a lot about transmission services and a good overview of the workings of the company. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Lower Colorado River Authority

"I learned quite a lot about transmission services and a good overview of the workings of the company."

Former Employee - Transmission Services Engineering Intern in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Transmission Services Engineering Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

Everyone was really friendly and very helpful towards me and made me feel very welcome. Extensive tours of power plants!

Cons

I was somewhat disappointed with they pay as an engineering intern although I learnt a lot over the summer and made the most of it.

Advice to Management

Take advice from the experienced senior engineers that have a lot of experience and have worked in previous companies and use their suggestions to go forward

Other Employee Reviews for Lower Colorado River Authority

"Various on Department and Manager"

Current Employee - Communications in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Communications in Austin, TX

Pros

Overall a good place to work. Allowed to balance personal and work life.

Cons

Too Political. Decisions made for politics and not for employees or customers.

Advice to Management

Moved up based on who they know, not how they manage

"An Organization With Too Many Employees - Total Mediocrity at its best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

LCRA has outstanding medical benefits. They offer great retirement packages. The main headquarters are in a beautiful area of Austin - overlooking Lake Austin. A positive work experience at LCRA depends entirely on the division and your direct supervisor. Elaborate retreat centers and facilities.

Cons

Austin is a very left-leaning city with many environmental activists. LCRA is a haven for these people. If you are of a conservative Republican mindset and work for a liberal who is also an environmental wacko, you will experience a bumpy ride. As far as my experience, bad reviews and write-ups came out of thin air, often delivered by second-hand gossip. Men who work under a female supervisor have a particularly difficult time. My supervisor caused me to spiral into deep anxiety which led to numerous panic attacks. HR is a joke at LCRA!! This organization is very political, since they are the largest wholesale supplier of electricity and water in Texas. When review time for your supervisor comes up, his/her boss brings you and all the other people in his/her department for a "team review" of the supervisor. Say anything bad about your supervisor and your co-workers will take you down. On two review, our group warned the manager that our supervisor was a bully. After these "reviews" my supervisor ramped up her attacks and criticism. By the way, the LCRA is overseen by a board of directors appointed by the governor of Texas. When board meetings occur, you would think you were watching a group of holy men and women. As an employee at LCRA, if you have any contact with a board member you are to report it immediately.

Advice to Management

There are too many departments and employees at LCRA. Don't allow environmental wackos to establish programs without a complete fact check. You hear positive comments about the power divisions at LCRA. WATERCO is the division with most of the problems with lots of politics and worthless programs and projects.