Lucasfilm - The Disney acquisition has created a tough environment; future remains unclear. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lucasfilm

"The Disney acquisition has created a tough environment; future remains unclear."

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lucasfilm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has an incredible legacy to uphold; Star Wars is a tough IP to beat. ILM and Skywalker Sound are the best in the business.

Cons

Leadership is overtaxed with a difficult acquisition by Disney, and it's difficult to see if and how it will weather the storm.

Advice to Management

Develop stronger lines of communication and be up-front about the company's challenges. Talk not just about a desired end state but present concrete steps on how to get there.

Other Employee Reviews for Lucasfilm

"Disney has destroyed Lucasfilm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lucasfilm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great location and work/life balance. Gave me 3 months to find a new job when let go...

Cons

No room for growth within my field. Was promised many things in my interview which never happened. Was let go within 18 months of my start date.
    Technology severely suppressed. Having experience at Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yelp and Zynga it was like stepping into a time machine when I started at Lucasfilm. Using ancient ticket queue systems and basically frankensteining small amounts of new technologies into a bloated beast of old hardware. There is no consideration for technological advancement in this company mostly because of the multitude of old mindsets that will not change thought processes along with the insanity of penny-pinching policies company-wide. Lucasfilms high point has come and gone and I regret believing the way they are seen by the public simply because of a 1970s blockbuster.
    I disapprove of the Disney corporate structure and feel very sad about the outcome of Lucasfilm. It needed a breath of fresh air and now is part of the supreme entertainment empire - further to the dark side. Nothing good can come of this.
    My prediction - Lucasfilm will not be a human entity in the near future. Once Star Wars 7-9 are complete, there will be no need for a north bay entertainment studio. Disney bought the Intellectual Property of Star Wars and that is all they wanted, nothing more. Everyone will be let go eventually.
    I disapprove of Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy, not George Lucas. Nothing is human about their decisions

Advice to Management

Open your mind and step outside of the box. I felt like I couldn't even think freely for myself - I was only a cog, and higher ups made sure I knew that. STOP THE RISK AVERSION - LISTEN TO EVERYONE

"Things were great until Disney bought us ..."

Former Employee - IT Minion in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Minion in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lucasfilm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a magic factory. High tech tools. You'll support Oscar winners. Free movies weekly. Industry artifacts scattered throughout the office. Great location.

Cons

Disney gutted the company. My estimation is 700 total layoffs this past April out of about 1900 employees (not just LucasArts.) Company is currently in turmoil with reorganization. A great number of those not laid off are not happy with the new management structure. Counting myself being laid off as a blessing. Hopefully, Lucasfilm will rise from the ashes leaner and stronger, but for the next year or two it's going to be a terrible place to work.

Note that below it says George Lucas is CEO of the company. He no longer is, it's technically Bob Iger. My vote below is based on Bob. I have nothing but good words to say about George. Everybody who has ever worked, directly or indirectly, for him loves him.

Advice to Management

Hire VP level people that are technically savvy. I literally had to describe what 'drag and drop' meant to a high-level VP within the last year. Management does not understand the impact they have on technology groups or what can realistically be done at the last minute.

When you announce big plans for technology initiatives, follow them all the way through. Don't abandon them and go back to the old ways of doing business. Spend wisely in people and process, not just throwing (admittedly awesome) hardware at your problems.