Lulu.com - Plenty of Room for Opportunities, but Not Much Handholding | Glassdoor

"Plenty of Room for Opportunities, but Not Much Handholding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at Lulu for many years, and while I've seen the ups and the downs, there is a genuine sense of the corner being turned. Sure, there have been distractions in the past with separate verticals, but now that the focus has turned back to doing what Lulu does best (servicing the needs of authors and businesses around the world in need of print), I have a new sense of optimism. The team I work with is filled... with wonderful people, and at this point, most of the negative attitudes have left for other ventures. Atmosphere is nice, casual, and energetic. Obligatory snack room comment (though more options with less sugars would be appreciated).

Cons

The self publishing world is niche, in that there's not much training you can do externally to prepare you for working within the industry. By hiring people who are "bored of the product" or think we aren't exciting enough to sell, you only shoot yourself in the foot and discredit the hearts of the people who are passionate about the service provided. Those people also refuse to learn about the true benefits that... Lulu can provide and end up floundering when new projects don't quite pan out.

Advice to Management

Make the relationships between managers and direct reports more open and communicative so that more people feel included and empowered to find their own path. Mentoring goes beyond simply identifying the "next step" to take.

Lulu.com2017-04-06

Other Employee Reviews

1. "A Development Renaissance"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few year's ago Lulu went thru a change in technical leadership from the CTO all the way down. That leadership has brought in many progressive DevOps oriented concepts and has delivered several new modern products built upon a cloud hosted micro-service platform. The future is bright for Lulu.com!

Cons

None that I've seen so far

Lulu.com2018-08-16
  2. "Unqualified technology management"

Former Contractor - Senior PM in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lulu.com for less than a year

Pros

Majority of co-workers nice to work with. Technology management is incredibly immature, many decisions being made based on who favors who. Pretty high turnover along with carelessness running the show. Good tech resources few in between.

Cons

Clueless management, program management has little to no framework.

Advice to Management

Focus on bribing and keeping quality resources. Remove ppl who smile wide just to cover the fact that they have no idea what they doing....and you've got quite of few of those.

Lulu.com2019-01-18

Discover more reviews about Lulu.com.