Lulu.com - My Personal Experience of Working at Lulu Press inc for 6 Months | Glassdoor

"My Personal Experience of Working at Lulu Press inc for 6 Months"

Current Employee - Global Fulfillment Print Support QA in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lulu is not your typical office environment. From the floor plan to the amenities I can tell thought has been put into keeping everyone comfortably in touch with each other and this makes for a pleasant and productive day. Big Boy bean bags are scattered around for people to use when the cubicle cramps set in, large monitors keep everyone updated on how Lulu is doing. Recreational equipment and a private bar with... dart board come in handy to blow off stress. Communication tools and practices make it easy for the teams to collaborate and push forward. The galley is spacious and well stocked with several stocked refrigerators and a wide assortment of healthy and not so healthy munchies. You can literally survive on nothing but the food supply here. Just camp out. Lulu is a B Corp which means a lot to me coming from an environmental activist background. We compost, recycle, and are pretty lean and green in how me run the office. Lulu encourages employees to volunteer for community outreach activities like working a day for Habitat for Humanity or sponsoring and building a Little Lending Library for a local bookstore. I can say with a straight face that I love working here, and look forward to coming to work. I feel like my expertise and experience are appreciated and encouraged. I feel invested in the success of Lulu and am stimulated by the opportunity to use my special skills to improve our company. The health insurance is very affordable and the PTO and vacation package is generous IMO. WFH and flexible scheduling are a big plus and I made use of them extensively as I relocated from out of state while still getting work done.

Cons

I'd have to dig deep to find something to really complain about. I know it probably sounds candy-ass. As a 56 year old guy that has been running his own businesses for 1/2 his life it was not easy to wrap my head around working for a company other than my own. I was especially worried about being accepted because of my age. Most of Lulu employees are your typical millennial generation of kids that I can kind of... relate to, but to them I probably appear to be an ancient. So far no problems there, but it's not really a gripe it's just an observation.

Advice to Management

I would like to see some kaizen events at Lulu. I can't think of a company that is more prepared and ready to introduce them. Considering the importance of getting our direction defined accurately it would be good to adopt the methodology of involving the grunts in the decision making of the top brass from the top down. Kaizen can only be implemented from upper management via champions and a commitment to... continuous improvement. It would be exciting to see this come to the floor.

Lulu.com2017-04-13

Other Employee Reviews

1. "A Development Renaissance"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few year's ago Lulu went thru a change in technical leadership from the CTO all the way down. That leadership has brought in many progressive DevOps oriented concepts and has delivered several new modern products built upon a cloud hosted micro-service platform. The future is bright for Lulu.com!

Cons

None that I've seen so far

Lulu.com2018-08-16

Lulu.com Response

January 21, 2019VP Marketing

SO bright, we gotta wear shades! Thanks for the review!

2. "Unqualified technology management"

Former Contractor - Senior PM in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lulu.com for less than a year

Pros

Majority of co-workers nice to work with. Technology management is incredibly immature, many decisions being made based on who favors who. Pretty high turnover along with carelessness running the show. Good tech resources few in between.

Cons

Clueless management, program management has little to no framework.

Advice to Management

Focus on bribing and keeping quality resources. Remove ppl who smile wide just to cover the fact that they have no idea what they doing....and you've got quite of few of those.

Lulu.com2019-01-18

Lulu.com Response

January 21, 2019VP Marketing

This review was left for the wrong company (we do not, nor have we ever, employed a contractor in Seattle). Unfortunately, Glassdoor won't investigate or take action unless you pay them. There are a lot of companies out there that trade under the name Lulu, but Glassdoor only feels there is one...which is flattering, but not very helpful in this situation.

Discover more reviews about Lulu.com.