Lumber Liquidators - Tough place, Heads up | Glassdoor

"Tough place, Heads up"

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a good place

Cons

Small store, 4 people all managers with no one to manage. POS is ridiculous..print billions of papers just for a receipt. While executing a sale you answer calls and place them on hold for a long time while other customers wait or leave. Its ridicules.. You get over run by customers! Poor training.. :(

Advice to Management

Advice to Corporate. If you have at least a total of six part time associates minimum wage and salaried ASM. Then the store will run well with more income to the store coming in.

Other Employee Reviews for Lumber Liquidators

"If you have seen the movie "OFFICE SPACE" ......."

Current Employee - Asm I in De Pere, WI
    Current Employee - Asm I in De Pere, WI

I have been working at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make good money working there in a manager position.

Cons

Metrics, metrics and yet more metrics. Then, when you are not sure... they have a metric for that too! I have been with L.L for over 6 years, Everything is driven by metrics. I get the purpose. But you will be bludgeoned every day when you don't make a metric. on top of all of your daily obligations and customers. You are expected to make a minimum of 30 (I am sure it will go up again. It started at 10 about a year ago) out going calls to NEW customers EVERY day. And they schedule you an extra 1/2 hour after closing to make sure you get the calls done. So welcome to the team and thanks for volunteering to be our new marketing department! If you don't like telemarketing this will not be your cup of tea. They seem to come out with a new metric once a week. The stores are WAY under staffed. Trying to compete with Menard's and Lowe's by basically being open 8-7 every day. The stores are staffed with 3 people - THAT'S IT! And when someone quits, it takes 3 months to fill the position. This leaves 2 people to fill 70 hour work week. They use stupid marketing slogans like "we have a lean staff to save money" . Well, if you have a family, you won't when your are done. Or they won't recognize you when they do see you. If you decide work for them. Get everything in writing. They always over promise and never deliver! Also, get ALL the money you can upfront. Because you won't see it after that. In 6 years I have gotten 1 raise. the new mantra is "you get a commission. so sell more... you get more! AKBA!!" If you are promised a chance to promote upwards.. don't count on it. I have had 2 new store managers. I have trained them both!! I have yet to get an opportunity to interview for my own store. They have filled 10 positions in my region. I have never even got a thanks for applying, but we went this way letter! This is despite the fact that I (alone) accounted for over 45% of the stores sales last year. I am currently the #1 or 2 ASM1 in my region. Upper management : doesn't exist. Glorified babysitters and cheerleaders for the company. If you make plan, they don't care about anything else. They feel that nothing needs to be addressed as long as the store makes its numbers. I have had 3 employees complain about the store manager. All 3 have quit because of how he runs the store and treats them. All three have gone to the regional and NOTHING was ever been done. One regional said he "he didn't have time for piss-ant problems!".

Advice to Management

add some employees. four per store is a good number. Maybe you will get it when your longest tenured employee in the field is 5 years! stop giving your Store managers all the money and incentives. If you are not going to give raises. how about stock options? The managers get it. At least the employees would still have a vested interest in making sure the company does well. Quit being so darn cheap! I got a stupid block of wood (Red oak no less) for 5 years of service! THANKS!! Oh, and how about a contest with less than 60 lines of "how to qualify". Also, ones that don't require me to be employed for 1 year after winning or you have to PAY IT BACK!? Or, go back to how it was 4 years ago. It was a much more fun company before it went public and we lost our identity.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Management Team in Toano, VA
    Former Employee - Management Team in Toano, VA

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time

Pros

Benefits are very good and the overall experience with working with some very hard working and dedicated employees who get the job done has been fantastic. The work there has a potential to be really good if the company concentrated as much on its employees as it does on being successful.

Cons

There is a false sense of security there. The Management in the warehouses are always looking to make an example out of someone with a write up or termination. The employees work long days and weeks up to 12 hours and as many as 2-3 months at a time with maybe a day off. The Temps who work there are not respected but yet are a large part of the success in the company growth. The management it not always fully truthful if cornered with facts of the truth and will quickly move to cover their tracks up to the point of terminating their own if needed. The company is not all bad but a few bad seeds have made it a bad experience.

Advice to Management

Look into what is really going on with how your lower management is running things. There are violations that have been committed. Your HR department needs a face lift and needs to really look at not just the needs of the company but also the needs of the employees who made the company what it is today. It's ashame because it could be a really great place to work but there are a few rogue managers/supervisors in your management team that are ruining it.