Lumeris - I drank the Kool-aid but now it's turning sour | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lumeris

"I drank the Kool-aid but now it's turning sour"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Lumeris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the people are really great. There are a lot of smart, talented, hard working people at this company. Also, I still believe/hope that the product and services have the potential to have a significant positive impact on the way health care is delivered.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that I think we are creating a terrible company culture under the guise of being a scrappy start up that requires all hands on deck at all times. People don't take their vacations, but, if they do, others don't think twice about interupting them. The CEO is establishing a culture where everyone is expected to be available at all times. People are not being recognized or rewarded for hard, often choosing work over their families. When the CEO does recognize how hard everyone is working it isn't a "thank you" it's announced as if it's an expected part of the job. It goes beyond just expecting hard work, and I think that even after we do establish a solid foot print in the market, this culture will be difficult to reverse. We also don't take the time to celebrate accomplishments, which I think would help keep morale up.

Strategy is so all over the place that it is difficult to keep up. Our executive team is full of smart, talented people, but they've become yes men to the CEO. Everyone will be having a good debate on a conference call, but as soon as the CEO joins the call the conversation changes to "oh yes, that's brilliant" and then we're off in some new crackpot direction. People are criticized for taking actions that aren't consistent with the current strategy, but, really, who can keep up with the ever changing strategy?

Salaries are only competitive in certain areas of the company. Other benefits such as raises, bonuses, and stock options are inconsistently granted. Bonuses are kind of a joke because it doesn't appear that you can ever get 100% of your target bonus.

Advice to Management

Set an example from the top. Work like a team. Provide input to the CEO if the new strategy doesn't make sense, or at least do a better job of communicating the new strategy. Standardize compensation, bonuses, and benefits. Acknowledge and reward your teams for working hard instead of acting like working 24/7 isn't extraordinary. Appreciate your people. They're good, talented people, but they are burning out fast.

Other Employee Reviews for Lumeris

"Management by ADHD"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Lumeris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good people in staff and lower management positions that are great to work with. Salaries are competitive to generous, depending on the role. The basic concept behind Lumeris (changing the way health care is managed) is important and worthwhile. HR has made recent efforts to create some semblance of a company culture, but they are late to the game (and a little misguided)l.

Cons

While the concept behind Lumeris is sound, the strategy and execution of same leave much to be desired. I was with the company for several years and marketing strategies were routinely scrapped and re-tooled every year. Management's ability to focus and execute has led to slower-than-expected growth, project delays and lost clients. Meanwhile, while upper management is chasing the latest shiny object, real needs that could improve the way employees do their job or the quality of information delivered to management are ignored. Systems that were recognized as woefully inadequate several years ago are still in place today with no plans for replacement. The executive team comes across as non-collaborative and often petty, with distinct silos existing throughout the company. There is a serious lack of accountability among upper management. Budgets are a running joke. Bonuses are paid regardless of company or personal performance. Incentive compensation plans are very poorly defined (if at all). Overall, it feels like a very mercenary environment, with a lot of management hopping on the wagon in the hopes of riding the company to a public offering and a big payday. Don't hold your breath.

Turnover is high, probably 20-25% annually. Involuntary terminations are frequent, as the company would rather part ways with a good employee whose job has changed and is no longer a perfect fit. Employee development is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Start and end with management accountability. In between, provide employees with the tools they need to do the job.

"Passion and potential but not friendly environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Maryland Heights, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at Lumeris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission, innovative, great for health plan experience

Cons

All emphasis placed on software side of company which is unstable. Health Plan has many talented employees but morale is terrible. Work/life balance is discouraged. Compensation is not competitive. Benefits are embarrassing.