Lyft - Poor Pay, Rude Passengers, Disposable Drivers | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Poor Pay, Rude Passengers, Disposable Drivers"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Orlando, FL
Current Freelancer - Driver in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Work your own hours
Potential to have decent people in vehicle
Possible Decent pay if Lyft didn't treat your areas rates like a third world country

Cons

Passengers are uneducated to State laws and Rules of Lyft - They think its ok to .....
Not wear a seatbelt(yes even in the back where people die as well)
Have babies not in car safety seats(violates state laws) Im tired of hearing "other drivers allow it"
Open Alcohol, open no lid drinks.
Its ok to sit and kick things like back of seat, dash, Rear Air conditioning unit.
Its ok to have kids running on our car seats with their shoes
They can come into a vehicle and tear it up and expect not hear anything from driver.
Driver is rated poorly for almost anything (Not giving passenger free things for the almost free ride they get. Asking for seatbelts, asking for no open drinks or food, child safety seats. A driver that follows rules and laws many times is attacked.
Passengers just rate drivers bad for fun or to try and get free lyft coupons
When passengers book a ride on the passenger app lyft does not post basic rules and educate them (Seatbelts, child seats, opene alcohol, illegal drugs, respect driver....). Lyft leave the dirty work to the driver. On the phone they always tell me what I need to tell passnngers and they always tell me Lyft will not compensate drivers for any police issues because passengers are not in seatbelts or have illegal substances....how nice.
Passengers are allowed to mock and insult drivers. I have basic laws and rules of state and lyft posted and smart mouth rude passengers get in and say " Soooo many Rules in here"
Passengers are not required to have a correct name in app or a real picture. Ive had names like "Z" and "Cellphone" passengers all lied and thought it was funny. Passengers use pictures of cartoon characters or celebrities....or none
Drivers pictures remain in a ride history on the "passengers app" yet there is no pictures or any info on the drivers app stored...how hypocritical
Rating system is terrible 4.6 out of 5 and driver is considered banned for termination...seriously on amazon a product that is 4.6 is amazing and if you read the bad its probably for someone that had no clue or does not make sense.
Drivers cannot get help on what was said bad and from who - Lyft says" use this as something constructive to learn from" Imagine being in school and the teacher telling you you failed the test but not why?????? Lyft also does not seem to want eveidence for passenger crimes.
Passengers can rate days and weeks after- So think before leaving the passenger a true feedback...they will see driver rated them poor and retaliate . Drivers can only rate immediatly after the drop
App - is like they just went into business. Does not show drivers destination until after pickup. Does not have filters. Plus divers are forced to still receive Standard lyft rides. How they expect us to drive with non gas efficient vehicles for $3 standard pay is beyond me. The website is deceptive showing a lincoln navigator and the ability to select the ride types that come in. This is Only true for that car. Plus cars cannot select plus only like with the other rideshare comapny
As a driver in orlando the fare charges are a disgrace. The area is loaded with cabs getting $2.50+ per minute(yes per minute) Airport runs to and from Disney in taxi cost people $65-$107 on this app driver may get $17....what a Joke( of course you have to subtract $3-$6 for tolls from it and 2 gallons gas depending if you drive back to original pickup so whats left for 1 hour drive time$6?). Theme parks and hotels charging hundreds per night, raise prices year over year. Huge money poors in daily and these Lyft prices are for a third world country.
Navigation...again behind the times you get google maps or waize....both have poor visuals of roads lane changes and signs...my garmin from 8 years ago is way better but sadly not connected
Tipping ... sadly without it most rides are not profitable - Lyft app should have a filter for drivers to ignore known non tippers. Known Tippers should get a free ride from lyft or a bonus. Play the same baby games drivers get with boosts and driving bnuses with passengers. Tip 5 drivers get a free ride on lyft
Rates again are a shame. They should stop with extreme surge pricing like 150-400% and raise the base rate to a normal price. Standard lyft should be no lower then $1 per mile.
Commisions again a problem. 25%...on top of the flat app fees they collect....That sould be no more then 15%
Customer support - You have to call many times to get the response you need. Manywill say they cant do something even though you have had it done 40 times in the past. lyft seems to always be "testing new features"
Luggage - lyft needs a service that cuts back on passengers so luggage can fit- A 4 seat ride cannot store 6 bags as well. Either the passenger app should ask bag amount questions or just take standard lyft and call it luggage ( a 4 seat ride turns into 2 passenger)
Lyft baby seat Family ..... Do they think Orlando has no kids?
$5 cancelation fee/mimimum pay - its more profitable then many rides. Example I pulled up, people had baby, said I have no car seat they said ok and I started driving away. A man yeled I will still take ride. Ok I drove him...Was paid $4.24....the cancel fee would of been more...no gas, time and loading hassle. Minimum driver pay should be $7

Advice to Management

Listen to drivers

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Driver"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Brentwood, CA
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Brentwood, CA

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

The Biggest PRO: Lots of interaction with interesting passengers.
    Flexibility, better access to management for problem solving than Uber.
    I had good initial training. Not certain if they still have the mentor program though.

Cons

Over promise income potential after initial sign on bonus period is over. At current fare and reimbursement levels net earnings after realistic car expenses can be $0 per hour.
    The LYFT app drops me for no reason, saying I'm out of area when I'm stationary in an airport queue. Then it kicks me to the back of the line. VERY frustrating. (Never happens with UBER.)

Advice to Management

Do a better job at Rider recruitment. Uber passengers seem to get lots of bonuses to build ridership.
    Fix app problems (see Cons comment).

2. "A complete waate of time"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Sacramento, CA

Pros

There is no pros at all

Cons

Waste gas
    Kill your car
    Deal with rude people
    People leaving a mess in your car
    Waste of time

Advice to Management

Pay drivers what they are worth not just use us to make them money.

Discover more reviews about Lyft.