Lyft - Great, fun company! | Glassdoor

"Great, fun company!"

Pros

Fun office, flexible scheduling, nice coworkers. The office is really nice with cool art on the walls, a stocked kitchen, and plenty of dogs around all the time. They also compensate for travel on caltrain/muni.

Cons

Not the highest pay, especially for living in San Francisco which is so expensive.

Advice to Management

You're doing great!

Other Employee Reviews for Lyft

"Lyft offers a needed service in S.F. and beyond, drivers get screwed :("

Former Freelancer - Lyft Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Former Freelancer - Lyft Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and you get to meet mostly cool, interesting people driving around the most beautiful city in the world.

Cons

Dealing with arrogant, drunk people and like the other reviewer stated, almost all communication is done vie email. Even if it is something that needs to be handled right away. As the other person stated I too was not told what i did wrong or why they just turned me off without calling me on a day when I worked a split shift

I took Lyft for about 4 6 months to see what it was like. I have a new car that meets the requirements, i'm underemployed and the money is good, usually.

Lyft uses the word "community" a lot in their messaging and unfortunately it is not practiced as a whole. When you become a driver you get access to the private Lyft Drivers Lounge where you get to write about the interesting people you met that day, questions for Lyft moderators (are there any really? If so there were some posts that should have been removed and dealt with by Lyft management) and anything else for the "Driver Community."

Where Lyft fails when ti comes to drivers is, well, exactly what the other person wrote.First, if your score drops below a 4.8 , you get a pre written email from "Performance@lyft.com" stating that you have hit your fist violation and they seemingly all state "navigation" as the reason. My experience was that i called 1 day after that email and it took 5 days for someone to call me. They said, well I didn't record that first call, but what they said was "BS" and did not point to anything concrete (Ie) passengers said you drove to slow, too fast, you blew a light, made a wrong turn, and of course the old "he/she used gps and it took longer." Well why then does Lyft advise drivers to use GPS?

By the time i got a call back I apparently reached my 2nd violation 2 days before , but the guy in Performance said "overall you have been improving drastically and the 2nd notice was just something that is sent automatically when your * drops. When I asked him to claify he wouldn't

So, lastly, I had almost 3 weeks of meeting really cool people and working more and more hours. Outside Lands was great and a good pay day and luckily no mistakes by passengers, cab drivers. I took 3 days off after 4 days straight and let my car relax. From the 2nd warning until this week, I was continually told I know SF better than most drivers, they enjoyed my "extras, etc." Apparently in the three week period I had done 100n rides and 87 of them were 5 star. A few were 4 star and , according to their BS, I had received 4 3 star ratings with comments that "Lyft can not comment on." Huh ? I completely understand "privacy" but how are you supposed to improve if you don't know what you did wrong??? If it were something serious (you would not believe the stories I heard about other Lyft drivers and especially the drivers of another service0

Advice to Management

Have a Real Community with the most important part of your business- the Drivers. Also, I think you have enough $ now that you can work with insurance companies to actually cover drivers in case of an accident. Instead you use vague legalize regarding insurance for the drivers. Drivers are risking a LOT right now and most don't realize it. If I had not been fired I would have cut my hours back after finally finding out that the insurance for passengers is fine and they spell out the coverage. For driver at Lyft, just like the bs firings, the management again seemingly does not care. After all we are just 10-99 Contractors and disposable.

"LYFT managment took a statistics class - and forgot a few of the rules along the way"

Former Contractor - Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It's fun and busy and the people you pick up act like they are very cool. Then rate you a 3 out of 5 which should be good but its grounds for being fired at Lyft. Decent money and the driving wasn't hard. The passenger's expectations were ridiculous.

Cons

Passengers are asked to rate you 1 to 5 stars w/o criteria of any kind.
    1. You can rate a 1 for being a blond driver & they wanted a gay driver or a talking dog driver.
    2. I was terminated after 5 mos for a 4.79 rating out of 5.
    3. They take out all the 5's from people who always give 5s which is part of the stats rule but what if the 5 people are the ones that use the service the most maybe???
    4. My passengers always raved about the car and the ice cold water and candies. Fist bump fist bump fist bump and then would rate me a 3.
    5. A 3 seems reasonable after all the city wasn't on fire and my car didn't lift up into the air above the traffic jam to get them to safety but they rode in a spotless 550i BMW got there much more efficiently than a cab (I used to travel 100K miles a year and was almost killed by a cab driver -no joke)
    6. Customers complained because I preferred to key the ride in to GPS - -
    7. I was fired for navigation..... seriously what is GPS for????.

Advice to Management

1. The biggest complaint my passengers had was there were not enough Lyfts available.
    2. You fired a perfectly good driver for a score hire than 4.5 out of 5 based on nothing.
    3. What are your preferences for a driver: i)Male; ii)Female; iii)N/A
    4. Set proper expectations for your passengers.
    5. Correct the criteria on you stats program - maybe consider having criteria -
    6. For example: a) did you arrive safe within a reasonable timeframe?;
    b) How often do you use Lyft?;
    c) was the driver pleasant?;
    d) did you direct or did the driver use GPS?;
    e) Was the car clean? f) What were the traffic conditions?
    g) Did the driver make sure you were comfortable?
    h) Did the driver appear to be clear headed and free of substance abuse signs? i) Did the driver try to harm you in anyway?
    j) How long did you wait for your driver?
    k) Did the pin drop in the proper place for pick up?
    l) What geographic area is your neighborhood?
    7. But firing randomly on no criteria but 1 to 5 stars is asking for a law suit. Public companies should run and run away fast from you guys. And you guys should get over yourselves...... I don't recommend Lyft to anyone who believes in fair employment practices.