Lyft - Weird rating system and not enough consistent work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lyft

"Weird rating system and not enough consistent work"

Former Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA
Former Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, if you like driving (which I do), fun way to see the city and discover new little streets, sometimes fun to meet people, fast payout.

Cons

Really silly rating system - I just got fired from Lyft for having a 4.52 rating out of 5. Granted, I don't drive for them that much - I have a 6 month old baby and am in school full time so some weeks I don't even get out there, but in the short time I drove for Lyft - a month and a half I didn't really get enough of a chance to improve my rating. I didn't have enough rides and with a couple ratings by jerk passengers I was toast. I steadily did improve my rating over the few weeks and few rides I did, but it didn't matter to Lyft's arbitrary system. If I had more time in my daily schedule, I would have gone out and racked up the rides so I could improve the rating faster, but I don't have time to work every week.

- a lot of people do not realize that 4 stars is a bad rating. I asked a few people and they did not know this. They don't understand why Lyft gives them 5 different rating levels when really there are only two rating levels - five stars and not five stars.

There is not enough work to go around most days. Way too many drivers - which is how they can get rid of so many drivers. There is a ton of turnover. Sometimes you can go out and make 14 bucks over the course of 2-3 hours. And then you have to pay for gas and car maintenance on top of that so most hours there is not a consistent amount of work. They hired too many drivers and then had to get rid of some so they just fired a bunch of us. Works well for them but sucks for the drivers.

You might be playing with fire when it comes to insurance. Thank god I never had to find out if my insurance would cover me in an accident - but it did make me a little nervous.

Most passengers are really nice and conscientious people - but there are a lot of people who do not have enough respect for the fact that you are driving them around in your personal car breaking your back so you get the five star rating. Passengers will rate you badly for not being able to stop on the block they are waiting on. Passengers will rate you badly - or just four stars - if you do not speed up to drive through a yellow light. In a system where only a five star rating will do and even a bunch of four star ratings will get you fired, it's too much luck of the draw as to who you will get as a passenger and how they will feel if you call them and ask them if it's possible for them to cross the street so you can pick them up. I totally understand the passengers - if someone was not able to stop on the block I'm waiting on because of bad traffic, I might consider the experience only a four. But it is totally demoralizing for the driver.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the rating system. Maintain all of your drivers and treat them like nonexpendable assets. Only deal with a driver specifically if there is a complaint against them, and in that case ask both sides to give their version of the events.

Other Employee Reviews for Lyft

"Shady Company!"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired as a driver.

Cons

Dishonesty, lack of ethics, horrible customer service. They will tell drivers that everything has been cleared in their city, but nothing has been cleared. Many drivers in AZ have been given heavy fines (over $2000) and cited by the police. Protect yourself because Lyft will not.

Advice to Management

Stop using leading drivers into illegal business!

"Sham Community"

Former Contractor - "community" Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - "community" Driver in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It pays better than minimum wage, but there are no benefits and you have to buy your own gas, since you're not really an "employee".
    It's easy to become a driver, if you have a clean record, a car within the last decade, and you're desperate enough.

Cons

Don't let the pretensions fool you. There is no real community here. When all's said and done, this privately-held corporation is just like any other corporation: they only care about their bottom line. Just so you know, if you're a so-called "community" driver, and this is your only line of work, I suggest you find more stable employment quick because there is zero job security. Drivers are totally expendable. There are almost no hours anymore, yet they keep adding drivers. This merely reinforces my point that don't care about the drivers, because if they deactivate you, it doesn't hurt their business, because there are plenty of other desperate people with cars in this terrible economy.

There's also almost no transparency regarding feedback. How can someone improve if they don't know what they did wrong? While it's good to have high standards, most reasonable people would agree that 4.8 or 4.7 isn't bad. Percentage-wise these would be considered 94 or 96 percent, which would be considered an A/A+ in an academic setting. But to these people anything less than perfect 5 stars (which doesn't mean anything really) is grounds for deactivation. There are so many things wrong with this little bs rating system. How do they know that the people giving the feedback don't have some sort of personal vendetta against the driver, or aren't employees of a rival rideshare (i.e., Uber employees, which I have picked up before at least a few times), or simply gave the driver a "bad" rating because they didn't know 4 stars is actually "bad". If Lyft is a true "community", then why is it that the words of the passengers are worth more than the people that make it possible for them to get to where they need to go? Why does the burden of proof fall on me to prove that someone vomited or urinated in my car with photo evidence, but the passenger is taken for their word for whatever they may say against me?

As for the passengers, I also don't care for arrogant, drunk passengers that talk down to you and trash your car. They'll smile to your face and then put you on blast behind your back, complaining because you asked them to put on their seat belts, or for driving at the speed limit, or for using navigation, which are all things that are in accordance with the law and Lyft's own guidelines. I was routinely told (to my face, anyway) by passengers that I did a good job and was friendly. I even was rewarded with Lyft credit by support because a passenger called in and said how much they liked me, only to find out a few weeks later that my driver account had been deactivated.

Which brings me to my next point. Support is a joke. Almost all communication is handled by email, even if it's an urgent matter. Support takes forever to respond to requests to replace damaged/stolen equipment. I put in a request to get another android phone cable almost two months ago, after a passenger made off with the one that was provided to me. I just got it today, nearly two months after the fact. Little good it'll do now, since they deactivated my account.

Advice to Management

Let drivers and passengers be coequal. If all the warm and fuzzy bs in the orientation videos about what Lyft is setting out to do is really true, then turn this corporation into a real community by turning it into a cooperative,owned by both drivers and passengers.