Lyon Law - Good expereince – Bad firm | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lyon Law

"Good expereince – Bad firm"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great experience
- Good staff
- Interesting work

Cons

- Low wages
- Low employee morale
- Lack of leadership
- Questionable ethics
- Inefficient

Advice to Management

- Increase wages
- Give clear and concise directions

Other Employee Reviews for Lyon Law

"Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Great opportunity to gain legal experience before getting a law degree. I worked at Lyon Law for approximately 1.5 years, and by the end of my time I was doing substantive drafting of motions for attorney approval, preparing plaintiffs and witnesses for trial and deposition testimony, doing document and evidence review to choose and prepare exhibits for attorney use during deposition. I feel like I got a real taste of what it is like to be an associate attorney before going to law school.

Coworkers were great; very relaxed environment. Everybody was friendly, aware of each other's schedules and projects, and more than willing to help out if things were particularly busy for one of us. The lead trial attorney and associate attorneys all clearly cared about obtaining the best outcome for the client--putting the client's needs first was something which was always stressed in the firm.

This is a great position if you want the chance to do meaningful and substantive work, especially if you don't mind or want a lot of responsibility (and a little stress). It was gratifying getting to see the work I put in substantially effect the outcome of cases for the firm's clients, especially without having a law degree yet.

Cons

Periods of high workload/long hours -- there were months when I went home at 5pm every day, and other periods of 2-4 weeks where I worked 60+ hour weeks to work on oppositions to motions for summary judgment or trial prep.

There is a lot dumped on your plate. Especially in the beginning the work can be stressful.

High caseload--perhaps it is simply a reality of running a firm on contingency, but assistants and especially attorneys are tasked with managing a rather high caseload at any one time. Challenging at times--and certainly time consuming--to make sure nothing was falling through the cracks on any one case.

"Poor employer, employment law firm. Ironic."

Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time

Pros

1. The other litigation assistants at this firm are the reason that working here is bearable. They're smart, they're hard-working, and they are there to help you when you need to print 12,000 pages on standard printers. These are the absolute best people.
    2. Free lunches every Friday, plus free office-wide Amazon Fresh orders for the fridge. There is almost always ice cream in the freezer.
    3. If you can survive here, you are definitely ready for the workload of an attorney.

Cons

1. Because this is such a small firm, there is 0 time dedicated to training. Other litigation assistants, who are buried in work already, have to train new employees on the fly. Errors and mistakes are inevitable, making for perpetual nervousness and anxiety around the office.
    2. Additionally, again due to the small size, litigation assistants often perform the work that senior attorneys at other firms do-- id est, deposition prep, discovery, and the entire separate statement for motions for summary judgement. The latter can take up to 80 hours to complete. As a result, attorneys from other firms often mistake Lyon Law litigation assistants for attorneys--because normally, no litigation assistant would be handling this sort/amount of work.
    3. Due to the absurd work load for untrained and unprepared 20-something-year-olds, overtime is unavoidable. Weekends that one does not spend doing some work are a rarity. It is not uncommon to spend nights in the office until 9:00 or 10:00 PM.
    4. No benefits.

Advice to Management

GL, pay attention to your employees. They are smart, hard-working people. If they were trained, and shown any empathy, you'd be amazed at what they could do.