M&T Bank - Not bad | Glassdoor

"Not bad"

I worked at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and mostly good people. Overall a pretty good place to work.

Cons

Employee growth was pretty much a myth. Job opportunities far too often went to outside hires even when qualified applicants where in house. Far too often good people left the company because promotions could only be found outside the company.

Advice to Management

Need to better engage employees.

Other Employee Reviews for M&T Bank

1. "This is how I feel about the company"

Current Employee - Trust Assistant in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Trust Assistant in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros that I can think of.

Cons

Lack of respect for employees, no progression

"The worst employment decision ever made!!!"

Former Employee - Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The time off was nice but that's about it.

Cons

Beware to anyone considering working here...especially if you're outside the organization and have never been in a "Bank" environment. The culture is horrible...especially in the building I was in. The majority of people were non-social and made you feel uncomfortable by their unfriendliness and they distanced themselves from you. There's no fraternization, no camaraderie with other coworkers....just a constant "CYA" atmosphere where everyone is afraid to offend the next person and if you do, beware! If you don't fit in or conform...watch out!

The work environment's most common statement is, "The Bank" says do this or "The Bank" says do that and it's very similar to the Wizard of Oz whereby everyone has to listen without any voice or opinion!! You'll never have your ideas or suggestions heard as "The Bank" has their own way of doing things and if you don't like it, either keep your mouth shut or find another job.

The management I was subjected to was awful and never provided any guidance as a new employee to get acclimated to "The Bank" ways and the unwritten rules of how to work with the numerous departments that we had to deal with. Speaking of....it's insane how many people are involved with the simplest things all because of the CYA environment that exists there. The waste of time, energy and effort is unbelievable all because of "The Bank's" culture.

The management (which are all VP's) only cares to "look" good in their supervisors eyes and could care less about anything else...especially the people that work under them. They will fabricate and exaggerate reports all to satisfy the folks in Buffalo. During a week long stay in the hospital, my supervisor never called or visited to see how I was doing and never asked how I was once I returned. She only had one thing on her mind...get projects done so SHE could look good. That spoke volumes about her character and that is when I knew I made a mistake going to M&T.

I will say that at the Branch level the people there were more friendly and outgoing and perhaps it's because they have more "people skills" unlike the "institutionalized zombies" in the corporate offices.

To anyone considering employment at M&T....just be careful for what "think" what you're getting into. It's NOT AT ALL what they tell you it will be. – less

Advice to Management

No comment !!