MAK Technologies - Good start but bad ending ! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MAK Technologies

"Good start but bad ending !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at MAK Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice and friendly people.
Good benefits and work life balance.
Every one is really helpful. Upper management is fine until a level.
Cool as long as you are doing your work !

Cons

Growth is bad right now..and lot of people were laid off recently.
The company is striving to survive right now.
Risky since their line of products is very narrow and dependent on single market.

Other Employee Reviews for MAK Technologies

1. "It was a mix of good and bad."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The developers are fun to work with.
    You do get a lot of autonomy as a developer.
    You get exposure to responsibilities companies usually don't give their developers, namely interacting with customers directly.

Cons

Salary and career growth potential were just not there.
    I felt my career was becoming incredibly stagnant during my time there, and people that should have been promoted weren't.
    There was lots of personnel 'repurposing' due to problems in scheduling projects.
    Culture and benefits were eroding during my time there.

Advice to Management

Nurture your developers and encourage them to grow. Be willing to take risks, but also communicate to employees in a friendlier way.

2. "A good company that seems to be coasting"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MAK Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MAK has a pretty solid reputation in the defense simulation space. Most of the engineers here are smart people and everyone is easy to get along with. I've enjoyed most of my projects so far and management doesn't get in the way of those who show initiative. I'm happy with my work/life balance, and the location is awesome if you reside close to the red line.

Cons

It seems to be getting harder to find new customers. There's not much growth in defense, and cheaper, better-looking videogame technology is impinging into the sim space. I worry that MAK's aging, somewhat cumbersome technology might look like a relic in a few years. Our only real advantage (for now) is that game engine makers don't offer the kind of support and hand-holding that big defense customers look for.

Traffic around the office can really suck if you're commuting in from far away.

Advice to Management

Focus on core strengths and look for ways to partner with makers of game tech (you're not going to beat them on graphics/animation). Get away from older, cruftier tech. Be honest about which features of MAK products are outdated or frustrating to use. Stop using the excuse of "the original engineers designed it this way" -- many of them are long gone.