MB Financial - Nice benefits, not enough room to grow long term | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MB Financial

"Nice benefits, not enough room to grow long term"

Current Employee - Officer in Rosemont, IL
Current Employee - Officer in Rosemont, IL

Pros

Benefits are good
People are great
Culture is strong

Cons

Pay is too low compared to competition
Promotion prospects are not great

Advice to Management

Hire from within

Other Employee Reviews for MB Financial

1. "Mid-Sized Bank that cannot hope to compete"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Chicago, IL

Pros

Long-standing history (100 years) serving Chicagoland.
    Small bank. Not a Corporate Giant.
    Corporate HQ in Rosemont is very nice. Training was a great experience.
    Very involved/likeable CEO

Cons

Salary sounded good until I realized how costly the benefits are compared to other banks. Less employees = less of a group discount when it comes to insurance I guess. Branch and Regional Management constantly implement policies and rules that are NOT company policy. An example of these "Improvements to Policy" include completing CTR reports for cash deposited over $3000 (Not $10,000+). That is illegal. Micromanaging is an understatement. While the company touts relationship-based banking, practicing what they preach is a whole different story. The simpleist tasks like closing a CD or issuing a cashier's check take 20+ minutes. The computer systems are so outdated, it makes even the most experienced bankers look like fools when paging through useless garbage just to answer the simpleist of questions. There is a completely different system to open accounts, and another system to pull documents and statements. The company's intranet is supposed to be a helpful source of information where one can do such things like look up policies and procedures on the fly. After a typical search, you usually come up with 10 pages of junk that you have to sift through to actually find what you want. Marketing material to support sales efforts and drive new business is abysmal. The products compared to another banks just don't stack up. Regional calling efforts are disorganized and un-focused. "Sucess Stories" from around the company are a joke. A word of caution: Research this bank thouroughly before considering a position here. I personally would not bank here in a million years, making it very hard for me to make reccomendations to my customers. I cannot put into words how much I regret my decision to join this bank. Please, consider other options prospective employees and applicants.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; you're at a bank that supports your outdated thinking and terrible communication skills. By the way, you like the smell of your own farts.

2. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

Pros

The Company has a really good working environment. Management was easily approachable, and the work-life balance was promoted all around. The facilities and location were great. All of my fellow employees were good natured and hard working. Overall, it was a nice place to work.

Cons

Benefits and salaries were on the lower end of the industry. Bonuses were on the same page. Some of the management team were out of touch with reality, spending more time on telephone banking rather than the collapse of the credit markets.

Advice to Management

I would say to the management to re-evaluate the employee benefit and salary structure. You are going to continue to lose good people because competitors are more generous. Keep the culture of easily approachable management. Open-door policies were imperative for keeping morale high.