MD Anderson Cancer Center - Underpaid but Exciting | Glassdoor

"Underpaid but Exciting"

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of exciting things going on at MD Anderson. I liked the fact that I was permitted to go attend one of the many lectures and seminars that are going on a daily basis by the center's experts and guest speakers. I would have loved to keep doing it, but it is hard to make it. I left the job to go to pharmacy school.

Cons

Some of the bosses use you for cheap labor and don't teach you anything along the way. Try to get into a laboratory where there's a graduate student that is willing to show you some things. Some of the work can be pretty repetitive. But if you show initiative, your boss or mentor will probably allow you to run a couple projects of your own. Also, it takes awhile to advance in the company, and the pay is not always good. As a research assistant, you could eventually work your way up to lab manager, but now days it seems that they are looking more and more for MBAs and PhDs to run the lab.

Other Employee Reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center

1. "It is an excellent place to work on cancer research."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure, Infrastructure, Intellectual mass, Resources, excellent work atmosphere.

Cons

Work pressure, Missing teaching opportunities like academic universities.

2. "not bad, but not great"

Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, decent people on the whole, tuition reimbursement is nice as is the cohort program ONLY if you are pursuing a degree related to healthcare.

Cons

rigidity in advancement, micromanagement, highly specialized which can be disadvantageous to older employees or employees that have time constraints that hinder educational opportunities