MD Anderson Cancer Center - Work with some amazing people, they are just not in the positions they should be... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center

"Work with some amazing people, they are just not in the positions they should be..."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love to help people; a lot of great people.
Im not in patient care but I love just to help them find an elevator if thats all I do.
Tution assistance.
It would be the greatest place to work if the values of the founder were still echoing through the institution.

Cons

Public image is only concern as is patient census with management.
Creates motion to have motion regardless of wastes of ineffciency. Then as a result uses this platform to cancel benefits and payouts.
Hr will not enforce anything, states "its managers discretion" regardless of the policy interpetation.
Upper mgt is a,lways looking to penalize low level workers and strip benefits from them all the while continuing to take exhorbent bonuses and building totems of worship for all to see thier greatness.
Class warfare is constant
Wants to be the McDonalds of Cancer; have a treatment center on every corner.

Advice to Management

I am sure Monroe Dunaway Anderson is rolling in his grave at what has become of his vision. This used to be place where employees were the "heart and soul of MDA" but now thanks to upper mgt over the last few years every employee is looked at as a burder or a unit of labor. The disconnect has happened, employees are no longer appreciated;some depts attemt to do good but HR usual steps in and frowns upon it... Poll your support personell; they see what is really going on, get their opinions, ask them if they feel welcome. The view is quite different once you are out of the ivory tower.

Other Employee Reviews for MD Anderson Cancer Center

"Great!!!"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, very structured and organized. I worked for here for 5years met great people and the Doctors are truly passionate about what they do!

Cons

Do research on departments before you accept some departments have poor management. It's more of who you know rather than your qualifications for jobs be mindful of this.

Advice to Management

Management needs to cleaned up at MD some managers are not at all qualified to be managers. The best manage I had retired and I left the department.

"Grand environment but enthusiasm is stifled by control-freaks"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Smithville, TX
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Smithville, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MD Anderson Cancer Center is a grand place to work, lots of professionals just a phone call away, which makes collaboration easy. The benefits are great, the support from within the institution is great - from vaccination clinics to legal advice you can get support for nearly anything from MD Anderson.

Cons

The management is too controlling and the environment where I worked at was only interested in publications, not actual progress. Concerns about study design were not taken serious. Also request for cell/tissue services costing as little as 3$ had to be countersigned by 2 officials to be placed. More bureaucracy than need be.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more free reign. As a Cancer Researcher who has worked in several countries prior to coming to the US, I can assure you that this will give better results. Scientists are not worker bees but independent thinkers. The paperwork-load is too much to do on top of doing your research well.