MGM Resorts International - Very personable and enjoyable company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MGM Resorts International

"Very personable and enjoyable company to work for."

Former Employee - Naturalist in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Naturalist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at MGM Resorts International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers and employees are tightly-woven together and care for each other. There is an atmosphere of mutual respect being promoted despite the differences in levels.

Cons

The sheer number of sub-departments can become a bit difficult to navigate through.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but never forget the employees at the bottom who are the ones primarily interacting with the guests.

Other Employee Reviews for MGM Resorts International

1. "Good experience with MGM"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Resorts International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, work atmosphere, beautiful location, friendly co-workers

Cons

Salary in Casino industry a bit lower than outside.

"The Most Dreadful Work Experience I Have Ever Had!"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at MGM Resorts International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food at the EDR

Great name to have on your resume

Awesome place for a first job right out of college

Co-Workers were great!

Cons

When I interviewed, I was told that the pay would be competitive with the rest of the industry -- It wasn't even close.

Management has no clue how to run a department. They consistently act as if they could be fired at any moment, which in turn caused them to make some of the most ridiculous decisions. The result is that the employees end up paying for it. The department lost 4 employees in 4 months. This is indicative of managements inability to understand that the problem with the department lies with them. Primarily the director and managers aren't able to effectively enact the changes needed to really take advantage of some of the talent that worked or is working there.

Never have I worked in a department where I was creatively directed by people who have no idea how the web works. On a consistent basis, I was directed to do things that I knew went against the web standards but I was forced to do it because management didn't want stand behind me or the other designers in similar situations.

There is the ridiculous pay plan that makes it possible for the entire department to become Senior Web Designers after 6 years if everyone stayed that long. On the other side of that, if everyone left at the same time, it would also make it possible for everyone to be PAs as well. Promotions aren't based on knowledge plus experience. It is primarily based on who has been there the longest.

There is no way to get a merit raise for going above and beyond the call of duty on a consistent basis. Which is why most people only did the minimum amount of work possible.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to get rid of the current director and managers. Hire some people that are able to make forward thinking decisions and aren't afraid of failure. As we all know failures are the road to success eventually. Stand up for your employees more than not. Show them some loyalty and they will show some to you. Above all else, pay them what they deserve! Pay them (employees) based on their worth and not what some precompiled scale says you should pay them. Not everyone fits on the same scale. You don't pay a rockstar the same amount of money as a struggling artist who may have been in the business just as long as the rockstar. It doesn't work!