MICROS Systems - Good for the time being, but not complacent | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MICROS Systems

"Good for the time being, but not complacent"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Product Specialist in Columbia, MD

Pros

The best reasons may be to learn about the point of sale industry.

Cons

Micros has extremely high turnover. There are no clearly defined job roles. Micros does not have employee performance matrix to know how your doing as an employee. They do not offer rewards or incentives to exceptional employees, and the pay is not competitive. One other issue that I could not get used to was working at a place were cursing was acceptable, by management and employees; more of the four letter words. Very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Develop a clear path of career development / advancements that includes salary ranges. This will help boost moral and give the employees something to look forward too if they choose to stay with Micros.

Other Employee Reviews for MICROS Systems

1. "An unorganized chatotic mess."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

Steady paycheck.
    Decent work hours.
    In-house cafeteria.

Cons

No clear definition of roles. No support from upper management. Terrible employee morale...throw each other under the bus atmosphere, Absolutely no room for advance. Fear factor/master-slave upper management climate.

Advice to Management

Bring in consultant to get things moraly right.

"Keep looking. You can do much better than MICROS."

Former Employee - Faceless Cog In the Corporate Machine in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Faceless Cog In the Corporate Machine in Columbia, MD

Pros

Good location close to Rt 29 and I95.
    Nice building with plenty of parking.
    Good cafeteria on site with decent food.
    Well known name in the industry.
    I worked with a few project managers and developers who were smart, dedicated and nice guys.

Cons

The mad rush of cars exiting the MICROS parking lot at exactly 5 PM is very telling. People hate this place.

I was a tester assigned to a division working on e-commerce applications. I was also involved in the development of new applications for the iPad and iPhone. I came into the job excited, enthusiastic and eager to learn. After all, MICROS is a well known name in the industry and I was going to be involved in some of the newest technologies.

It took me about 2 days on the job to realize that something is very wrong with this company. I was stunned to learn that there is no documentation department. As a new tester I wanted to read the user manuals for the products I was going to be testing. Guess what..there aren't any. Absolutely unbelievable.

The environment is incredibly rigid with draconian rules about everything. Flextime? Forget it. Sick day? Bring a doctor's note. Want to check your G-mail account? Blocked. In fact, the web filter is so rigid that I couldn't even go to the web site of the health care provider to register for my health insurance. Ridiculous! I guess registering for health insurance wasn't "work related" enough to justify web access.

Development relies heavily on imported H1B Visa labor. Micros loves H1B workers. These are good people who are essentially indentured servants. They can be underpaid and abused and generally are.

Development is rushed and sloppy. Requirements? Functional Specifications? Design Document? All non-existent or amateurish. QA is poorly implemented. Training and mentoring are non-existent.

You will be micro managed and watched.

You will hide in the stair well to make a personal call on your cell phone.

You will take lunch from exactly 12 to 1 regardless of what else you have going on.

You will be told that "chit chat is prohibited during working hours". Yes, my boss actually told me this while having a coffee break with a new coworker.

You will hate your life and question how a company this bad continues to exist. I left MICROS after about 6 months and landed a job making 20k more. I should have left after 6 days.

Advice to Management

Micros continues to exist based on past successes. The cash cows of the mature and generally well designed POS systems will not be an infinite income stream. Micros cannot attract or retain new, young, eager talent given the rigid environment, draconian rules and outdated ideas of how to do business. This isn't Westinghouse circa 1982. Times have changed. Micros will gradually become a weaker player in the industry as others bring new technology to market first. Get with the times. Implement, flextime, flexible lunch hours, more open web filters. Start showing some general respect for employees. Not everyone is lazy and trying to rip you off. You've had a good run TG. Time to hand things over to someone more relevant. Why not retire and spend some of that 7M annual compensation package you've been earning?