MISO - So Many Unrealized Possibilities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MISO

"So Many Unrealized Possibilities"

Pros

Fascinating industry
Hard working teams to work with
Future longevity of company appears to be bright

Cons

Thick atmosphere of political operations. People keep jobs or are promoted to positions not because of work history or contributions but because of who they know.
In the current atmosphere of "downsizing" entirely too many people getting free paychecks. People who barely work each day, can't be bothered to actually do their jobs and/or are unprofessional in their approach to their jobs but who keep them anyway.
Huge power hungry egos allowed to get in the way of productive work and accomplishment.

Advice to Management

Positively champion those contributing ideas for implementing functional and structural change that have proven successful. Listen objectively and courageouly to feedback with a view to improvement. Honestly and openly walk the talk of "open door policies." Be willing to do the difficult work of making unpopular decisions management is paid to make wthout allowing subjectively and fear of what others will think to color professional judgment.

Other Employee Reviews for MISO

"Best Internship Ever!"

Current Intern - Corporate Communications Intern in Carmel, IN
    Current Intern - Corporate Communications Intern in Carmel, IN

I have been working at MISO as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Best pay an intern could ever ask for. It is full-time and they provide optional housing as well as benefits. Many options are available to make employees feel comfortable, as they offer a Smart Office. It is an interesting concept to promote communication and is aesthetically pleasing, even including vegetation on the walls! All this is in addition to their incredible coffee machines!

The interview process was simple but thorough, and HR was consistent in their contact with me.

Everybody is incredibly willing to help, and all of my questions are appreciated and answer respectfully.

Cons

At first it is difficult to understand the nature of the company because of its vast footprint, however they is always someone available to answer questions!

Advice to Management

They do a great job of communicating with interns and make sure that we are getting acclimated with the current position and requirements of the projects we are working on.

"Toxic"

Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at MISO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are highly competitive. One of the biggest challenges for those of us working here is being unable to leave, not matter how miserable we are or how much we are mistreated, because the pay is so competitive.

Another review mentioned this, but it is worth repeating. The leadership at MISO is aware of the bad reviews on here, but have decided that they are irrelevant because it is "just a bunch of people that are disgruntled". Unbelievable. Negative feedback is dismissed because the person providing it is upset or disappointed. Is that not the very nature of negative feedback? Would someone be inclined to leave negative feedback if they were not disappointed or upset? So, MISO leadership, help me understand. Would't that reasoning invalidate all negative feedback?

Cons

Do you miss the 90? Would you like to re-live the glory days of spreadsheets, word documents and powerpoint presentations? Do you think that graduate school is only for losers? Do you still believe that Taylorism is the management system of the future? Do you love top-down, authoritarian leadership? Are you a white man in his 40's or 50's? You are in luck! MISO is the place for you!

If you are reading this and are contemplating working for MISO, think hard. Read the comments left by those of us who work here. Compare them to those of other companies in the area and ask yourself if you want to work with a group of people this disillusioned with their leadership and work environment.

The leadership at MISO will dismiss this review and carry on with their shenanigans. Little can be done about that. However, you do not have to deal with this. Take my advice - don't. The money isn't worth it.

Advice to Management

You are out of your league and we all know it. You got to where you are by being in the right place at the right time, but you've no idea how to run this company. You are the problem.

Creating a Women's Resource Group and then promoting men who mistreat women (you know who I'm talking about) won't fix MISO. Creating a Lifelong Learning initiative when the vast majority of your leadership hasn't darkened the door of a university in three decades isn't doing anyone any good either. Creating an "Open Concept" work space while clinging to 20th century management and HR practices won't fix anything.

You are not fooling anyone but yourselves.

Sadly, there is a cadre of new management that is working to fix the company. However, one-by-one they tire of tilting at windmills and leave to other opportunities where their talents and efforts are not wasted. Whenever this occurs, the good-old-boy network grin, slap each other on the back and congratulate one-another for "getting rid of that troublemaker".