MIT Lincoln Laboratory - satisfied...could be better | Glassdoor

"satisfied...could be better"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Lexington, MA
Current Employee - Technical Staff in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

awesome people and a collaborative environment. Couldn't work with better people

Cons

flat structure curtails ambition, more negotiating power would up motivation

Advice to Management

more direct time. Really want to engage and learn more from the experience. Time is so limited, often driving without a map.

Jan 30, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

We are pleased that you feel satisfied. We are continuously trying to improve. Your advice is noted. We believe that your optimism is well founded and appreciate your input.

Other Employee Reviews for MIT Lincoln Laboratory

"Government job: slow-moving, great benefits, reasonable hours, hard to get fired"

Current Employee - Associate Technical Staff in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Staff in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are intelligent; well-funded place to do research; some flexibility at the staff level to pursue your own projects. Good place to retire or raise a family.

Cons

The lab doesn't focus much on management, and as a consequence, the management quality is pretty patchy. There are so many possible pitfalls when doing research--one can attack uninteresting questions, or fail to have a clear question to answer, or fail to design the experiment in a way that will answer the question. Further, research is slow, and requires patience at the right moments and tenacity at others. I've never been on a project at Lincoln that was successful, and it was always a management problem. I don't want to knock Lincoln too hard, as these are common problems with research: without clear market feedback, it's really easy to end up in the weeds. But for whatever reason, we spent a lot of time in the weeds.

Note that the lab is a BIG place, and this was just my experience in division 8. I would say that it is likely to be completely irrelevant to your experience in other divisions.

Also, there is no such thing as job mobility for assistant or associate staff, at least in division 8. This is a place run by PhDs for PhDs. If you don't have one, you just do what you're told. That's not the worst thing in the world, but it might not be ideal for someone young and ambitious.

Advice to Management

360 reviews would be really helpful for everyone.

Jan 30, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

It is clear that you have given some thought to your insights and that is appreciated. It is an accurate observation that the Laboratory is not market driven. With no profit motive or shareholders ... More

2. "MIT Lincoln Laboratory as at the forefront of technology"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

technology, culture, smart people, opportunities for movement to things of interest

Cons

parking, some arbitrary rules get in the way

Advice to Management

there isn't much, but cut through the red tape!

Jan 15, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. Parking can be a challenge and there is active study ongoing to find viable options within the existing space constraints. We do have some administrative steps that do ... More