MITRE - I learned some stuff, but pretty disappointed with some of the people. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

"I learned some stuff, but pretty disappointed with some of the people."

Former Employee - Senior Economic/Business Analyst in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Senior Economic/Business Analyst in McLean, VA

Pros

Great work/life balance and benefits. I really appreciated how my departments managers wouldn't always need to know every little thing I was doing all the time.

Cons

Raises aren't the best. I was really surprised how incompetent and lazy some of the people I worked with were. It was embarassing.

Advice to Management

I'm not a fan of micro management, but I really think some people need it. You promote a work/life balance, but maybe a little too much. When clients I worked for had little respect for some people at MITRE, it was really an embarrassment. Senior management needs to do a better job watching the people leading their projects.

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

"Outstanding in nearly every respect."

Current Employee - Associate Department Head in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Department Head in McLean, VA

Pros

Smart, friendly people, a great campus, a collegial atmosphere, and the ability to address important problems are some of the reasons that make MITRE a great place to work. Of those there are two that stand out: the people and the mission. The people are terrific--smart, friendly, and helpful. The people I work with are the reason I like to come to work each day. They are colleagues, each talented and gifted in their own way, and they are friends. The mission is a second great reason. As an FFRDC, we serve the nation without a motive for profit. We relish the opportunity to apply the vast knowledge and experience of thousands of MITRE scientists and engineers to the toughest challenges of the nation in many domains: security, defense, flight safety, health, law enforcement, and more. In a less altruistic sense, the fringe benefits are a major reason to come to, and stay with, MITRE. Aside from a retirement plan that has got to be one of the best in the country, there are many small things that make a huge difference. MITRE has gone above and beyond to create a workplace to attract the best and brightest.

Cons

Working on a sponsor site can be difficult, especially if the sponsor sees you as just another contractor and does not "get" the FFRDC difference. Being away from the main campus and the opportunity to interact with other MITRE scientists and engineers can make one stale.

Advice to Management

Get out to sites more. Visit our technical people who spend their days in sponsor spaces and see how they are living and what the environment is like for them.

"Incredible Opportunity"

Current Employee - Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

Brilliant work/life balance
    High flexibility of schedule
    Competitive pay
    Amazing benefits
    Supportive management
    Company stability
    Opportunities for growth and development

Cons

No flavored creamer in the cafeteria
    Stubborn sponsors

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to put the company out on the radar more and recruit at universities to spread knowledge of our wonderful working place!