MITRE - Great Company for the independent minded professional | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

"Great Company for the independent minded professional"

Current Employee - Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salaries, good benefits nice people

Cons

Not much leadership nor mentoring skills

Advice to Management

Improve personal interactive skills

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

"Gets worse with every year"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good peers, Starting Salary, company fitness center, 401k (before they reduced the company match)

Cons

Management is disrespectful of IT technical staff. Work / Life balance and ability to work from home in IT is a joke as management seldom allows it to be used. If you do take time off, it is held against you in your next review.

No comp time or compensation for working overtime or taking cell phone calls after hours is given in our department

MITRE does not allow 360 reviews of managments, so reviews are a one-sided process.
    There is no cross training. Management talks about wanting new ideas, but when you offer anything that is remotely different from what your manager believes in, be ready to be called a rabble-rouser.

In the last year, 401k match and vacation time has been reduced. The federal government now has more paid holidays than employees at MITRE.

I have no idea what HR does. They appear to be afraid of management.

Advice to Management

If your 20+ year managers with their 1950 attitude of “it is my way or the highway", don't want to change with the times you need to replace them. If Senior Management doesn't take steps to immediately to improve the workplace conditions in IT, you are going to need to hire additional HR staff to process resignations once the economy improves.

2. "Important job"

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My work helps the US Federal Government more effective. My role is "trusted knowledge advisor" and I use data-driven products/prototypes to recommend a course of action. MITRE has a lot of emphasis on education and is paying for my master's degree. The government has a lot of problems, and as opposed to complaining (which we all should be encouraged to do) I have chosen a course of working to make things better.

I am not a government employee, but my job is to make them more effective.

I have good flex time, but that is project-dependant (as opposed to a corporate mandate). MITRE has subscriptions to hundreds of electronic resources (such as full IEEE everything) and I have been able to research well.

Cons

MITRE teams usually are small, so I don't get the same type of production environment I was used to in the commercial sector (large software development), but I am trusted, empowered, and able to find good, challenging work.

Good is the enemy of great, and there is little great at MITRE - lots of smart, competent people, but the red tape of government frequently thwarts our abilities to achieve the best. Like I said, we can advise, but have no authority. This means I have to influence through being awesome and inspirational, rather than through telling someone what to do. :)