MITRE - A well rounded company with lots of diversity and opportunity | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

"A well rounded company with lots of diversity and opportunity"

Current Employee - Network and Distributed Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Network and Distributed Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nearly limitless opportunity to do cool and unique things
- I don't think it's possible to burn out. Every time I've gotten tired of something, I was able to easily move onto a different project
- Culture encourages sharing of skills cross-pollination. If you know of someone doing something cool, it's usually not too hard to shift some of your time to that task, even if that task is "owned" by a completely different department. They call it softshelling.
- Benefits are pretty good. 4 weeks of vacation time, flexible work hours, and the insurance options are all great.

Cons

- Somewhat older company. As a mid-20, it is a bit lonely at times. Everyone is awesome and friendly, and many of my co-workers are young-at-heart, but sometimes it's nice to be with people my own age
- Benefits seem to be slowly going down-hill as the company gets older
- The closer you get to the government space, the more red-tape and BS you have to deal with.
- It is very difficult to get fired at MITRE. Too often I've seen people with little skill get held onto for no good reason. Once one project team gets tired of them and ousts them, they are just moved onto something else.
- Base salary isn't necessarily the best, but the cool opportunities and benefits mostly make up for it.

Advice to Management

Focus more on recruiting and maintaining young talent

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

1. "Great work variance and opportunities but slow advancement unless located at major corporate locations."

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environments with lots of opportunities to work on multiple projects. Openings are posted on the intranet site and available for current employees to apply for. Working half time on 2 projects is common.

Cons

Slow advancement with emphasis of efforts located at major corporate locations. There are limited advancement opportunities and is competitive. My observations is that people that work on projects at the major corporate sites fair much better at advancement even if those that don't work there are rated very well.

Advice to Management

If advancement is not provided to employees working projects that aren't located at the corporate locations (non-sites), then consider other compensation options.

"Bloated and Incompetent Management Damages the Company"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great. The work is not demanding (though, see below). The people in my department are very pleasant to work with, for the most part. In fact, I might venture to say that MITRE is a bit of a gilded cage -- talented people will not be challenged, but neither will they be subject to the vicissitudes of a roiling job market. You will not have to work long hours for fear of your job.

Cons

There is little genuine "technical" work to go around beyond the usual (and uninteresting) IT and database problems. Much lip service is paid to the provision of something called "technical excellence", but in truth this is just an empty management mantra. The bulk of the available technical work is performed by low-ranking (read: < AC4) engineers, many of whom have advanced degrees, some in the hard sciences like physics or math. Of course, nothing these people say or do is listened to or respected by senior management, most of whom do not possess these degrees, or else acquired them under conspicuously non-rigorous circumstances.

Further, there is little opportunity for PhD-level scientists and engineers to advance. They are paid significantly less than their non-technical peers despite doing most of the difficult work, and they are accorded pitiful raises even when their reviews are exemplary. This inequity becomes apparent very quickly to new technical hires, many of whom turn right around and leave MITRE for greener pastures within a year or two. This is tragic, really, because MITRE is losing talented people who could do much to enhance its reputation and advance its mission.

Finally, the middle and upper levels of management are bloated and mostly incompetent. I appreciate that task leadership can be difficult, but the majority of our managers don't even try to do their jobs. There's a reason MITRE has been targeted by its counterparts in the private sector for transgressing the bounds of appropriate FFRDC work -- our task leaders and upper managers are incapable of handling sponsor relationships. They lack the discipline to say NO to work that falls outside the terms of our charter; they lack the courage to tell our sponsors the naked truth about their problems, instead allowing politics to dictate the message. There is therefore little to distinguish us from our non-FFRDC peers, who rightly view us as competitors.

Advice to Management

Create a true technical track, seek out talent, and treat that talent well. Don't just pay lip service to the idea -- show that you mean it. Promote good technical people, not just the bootlickers and sycophants.