MITRE - Amazing work and benefits, below average pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

"Amazing work and benefits, below average pay"

Current Employee - Information Security Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Information Security Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work that you can do at MITRE is always interesting and they expect it to be. You can easily shift to a different project if you don't like the one you are on. Also there are very flexible schedules and it is not a problem to work from home.

Cons

The only downside is that you will not make as much as other places. This is balanced by the flexibility.

Advice to Management

Making the pay better would do incredible things to keep people.

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

1. "MITRE is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Infosec Engineer/Scientist in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Infosec Engineer/Scientist in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MITRE has good benefits, good people, interesting work, and a good environment. They are very good about work and life balance.

Cons

There are not too many downsides about working at MITRE. The biggest is probably that projects, especially in today's economy, can sometimes go away unexpectedly. There are also times (but not always) where there seem to be too many managers on projects per non-manager.

"A well rounded company with lots of diversity and opportunity"

Current Employee - Network and Distributed Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Network and Distributed Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nearly limitless opportunity to do cool and unique things
    - I don't think it's possible to burn out. Every time I've gotten tired of something, I was able to easily move onto a different project
    - Culture encourages sharing of skills cross-pollination. If you know of someone doing something cool, it's usually not too hard to shift some of your time to that task, even if that task is "owned" by a completely different department. They call it softshelling.
    - Benefits are pretty good. 4 weeks of vacation time, flexible work hours, and the insurance options are all great.

Cons

- Somewhat older company. As a mid-20, it is a bit lonely at times. Everyone is awesome and friendly, and many of my co-workers are young-at-heart, but sometimes it's nice to be with people my own age
    - Benefits seem to be slowly going down-hill as the company gets older
    - The closer you get to the government space, the more red-tape and BS you have to deal with.
    - It is very difficult to get fired at MITRE. Too often I've seen people with little skill get held onto for no good reason. Once one project team gets tired of them and ousts them, they are just moved onto something else.
    - Base salary isn't necessarily the best, but the cool opportunities and benefits mostly make up for it.

Advice to Management

Focus more on recruiting and maintaining young talent