MITRE - Still navigating the ropes, trying to formulate my opinion and decide about my future plans. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

"Still navigating the ropes, trying to formulate my opinion and decide about my future plans."

Current Employee - Technical in Bedford, MA
Current Employee - Technical in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong use of technology for work tasks, many personnel and other resources to tap. Gaining decent experience in my field of interest. But, while some things are promising, I've never loved the place...and why?

Cons

Personnel management is minimal or lacking. Workload balance between team members is extremely disparate, in my group. Some people do significantly less than others -- and yet I suspect paychecks don't correlate. Don't always practice what they preach. Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical. One particular VP loses more of my respect every time they open their mouth and babble nonsense that is insensitive to others, unfounded, and disrespectful to those they represent. Time for the President to wake up and take notice!!!!! ( Such as, the mass exodus that has begun out of this one department. Might want to consider getting some input on your next hire - since others have to work with these people too. !!! )

Advice to Management

Follow your own guidelines. Don't overload your line management so that they don't have any time left over to manager their own staff. Leads to many issues, job dissatisfaction, resentment, and then ultimately turn-over. You should be smarter than this...not like it's not due to lack of intelligence and resources.

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

"MITRE Systems Engineer Experience"

Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer, Lead in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer, Lead in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement and 401K are competitive, but benefits declined over the 5.5 years that I was employed there. Employee tools and services were excellent. Compensation was excellent in the beginning, but growth was not provided thereafter. Severance package for departing employees was fair.

Cons

Politically cliquish environment where employee success is dependent on participation in the clique more than employee performance. Poor leadership from management demoralized employees and perpetuated poor leadership skills throughout the organization. Two Reduction in Force (RIF) sessions and leave without pay absences in 2013 for the majority of employees reflected poor leadership and management of MITRE and subsequent poor morale of employees there today. Government sequestration contributed to this, but also served as a vehicle for some group leaders and department heads to railroad and terminate excellent employees. MITRE informed RIF employees that MITRE does not provide references for their employees after departing MITRE, which was the most unprofessional policy I had ever heard of.

Advice to Management

Improve leadership skills of management (effectiveness and efficiency).

"Average defense contractor, non-objective analysis often biased to benefit customer's desired position, poor management"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great history of public service, free parking, decent medical benefits, key element to success is generating many billable customer hours, keeping the customer happy, and being politically astute. Great job for those just starting out of college to gain experience at modest income or for those slowing down at retirement age who still need some income, some positions have flex-time hours for workers.

Cons

Inability to do independent unbiased research here due to heavy pressure from management to align research findings with customer preferred outcomes (sells itself as a non-profit independent objective think tank working in the public interest, but falls far short from what it once was and truly functions like a heavily customer biased defense contractor).

Engineering pedigree of engineers and scientists is average for defense firms in my experience - not the brightest nor most innovative minds work here, although there are some brilliant pockets here and there. You'll find more innovative and smarter engineers at Microsoft, Google, Cisco, or similar firms.

Flat hierarchy with engineers often in management positions who lack leadership skills, structure is that of many departments that generally do not interact except for project work -- enabling the department heads to bully and isolate department members within their departments. Management is responsible for distributing work (task codes) to employees but often falls short and forces employees to "drum up" work tasking themselves, even during paid time off (vacation time, which the company will disavow but in reality this happens every time there is a shortage of tasking -- ie you need 40 hours of tasking per week, which is stressful when not available).

Technical meetings and other exchanges involve subtle and direct bullying by the "graybeards" to silence alternative viewpoints (close-minded and politically on the right, bullying occurs frequently).

HR has high quality and low quality professionals but ultimately they all fall in line with management even when they experience unethical behaviors by other HR on how employee cases are handled.

Cafeteria food is low quality.

Minor bonuses ("spot" awards on the order of $100 or so).

Advice to Management

Get in touch with employees at lower levels to find out what is really going on at this company. Get back to "public service" roots and push back on customers when customers exert pressure to influence desired research outcomes. Its a shame considering this company's lofty heritage that the military and taxpayers are subject to unethical influences when it comes to technical research, development, and analysis.