MITRE - Love the people, love the work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

"Love the people, love the work!"

Current Employee - Senior Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training opportunities, great work-life balance, flexible hours, good benefits. I actually look forward to going into work every day to work on the multiple projects I support.

Cons

It feels like it is dominated by older management that doesn't always seem to quite understand the needs of the younger employees. Attrition lately seems to be a theme, but that also gives more opportunities for those of us who stick around to turn it around.

Advice to Management

We're a research and development company, right? I feel like if I want to research up and coming technologies I sometimes have to go out and buy some of them myself to get my hands on it in order to effectively evaluate it. Specifically mobile devices like iPads/iPhones/Android phones/tablets/the newest Windows Phone, etc. I don't always want to have the newest stuff, but it doesn't seem too expensive to have a lab somewhere buy this consumer grade equipment to research. Let's get the equipment so our researchers can research it!

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

1. "Purpose, Integrity, and Continuous Learning"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MITRE works in the public interest; as a not-for-profit, its focus is on that mission, not on making money. Integrity is a core value and is demonstrated by "speaking truth to power" and walking away from jobs that aren't in the public interest. Focusing on the next innovation is encouraged; since you're surrounded by smart, well-educated, and dedicated professionals, you can continuously learn and grow. The retirement and PTOB are among the best in the industry and work/life balance is real.

Cons

As an operator of FFRDCs, MITRE only works for the government - primarily the federal government. The inevitable bureaucracy, uneven and unsure funding, and political changes can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep talking and listening to the staff!

"2013 Summer Intern. Good not Great"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE as an intern

Pros

Good amount of autonomy - if you think your solution will work you are encouraged to implement it with minimal hand-holding.

Expectations can be pretty high - leading to a lot of initial learning.

Cons

Intern experience depends heavily on the project to which you get assigned. I had a friend who's project was below his capabilities and spent 10 weeks not learning anything.