MITRE - Great Career | Glassdoor

"Great Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people who care about what they do for their govt sponsors and the American public.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic, but it's a large organization. Needs to be more agile.

Advice to Management

Focus more on delivering value/impact to govt customers and those they serve, and less on process and organizational structure, roles, etc.

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

"Love the people, love the work!"

Current Employee - Senior Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training opportunities, great work-life balance, flexible hours, good benefits. I actually look forward to going into work every day to work on the multiple projects I support.

Cons

It feels like it is dominated by older management that doesn't always seem to quite understand the needs of the younger employees. Attrition lately seems to be a theme, but that also gives more opportunities for those of us who stick around to turn it around.

Advice to Management

We're a research and development company, right? I feel like if I want to research up and coming technologies I sometimes have to go out and buy some of them myself to get my hands on it in order to effectively evaluate it. Specifically mobile devices like iPads/iPhones/Android phones/tablets/the newest Windows Phone, etc. I don't always want to have the newest stuff, but it doesn't seem too expensive to have a lab somewhere buy this consumer grade equipment to research. Let's get the equipment so our researchers can research it!

2. "Purpose, Integrity, and Continuous Learning"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MITRE works in the public interest; as a not-for-profit, its focus is on that mission, not on making money. Integrity is a core value and is demonstrated by "speaking truth to power" and walking away from jobs that aren't in the public interest. Focusing on the next innovation is encouraged; since you're surrounded by smart, well-educated, and dedicated professionals, you can continuously learn and grow. The retirement and PTOB are among the best in the industry and work/life balance is real.

Cons

As an operator of FFRDCs, MITRE only works for the government - primarily the federal government. The inevitable bureaucracy, uneven and unsure funding, and political changes can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep talking and listening to the staff!