MITRE - Couldn't believe it... | Glassdoor

"Couldn't believe it..."

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Nice office space. Many people seem friendly. Easy commuter location. Reasonable work hours. Very good CEO. Public interest work. Reputation.

Cons

Worked there over a decade, then stabbed in the back by subordinate who didn't get promoted into the position I filled. Chose not to defend myself and was told by my management the staff's problematic behavior would not be tolerated. Relied on management to handle the situation. Huge mistake, but learned what the mid-level leadership was like (self-focused).

Not a place where leadership cares or truth is supported. No longer a place where the customer comes first. I would not return for any reason.

Top 100 employer only for those who like office politics.

Advice to Management

Al is a wonderful leader and very capable, but the politics are very sad. Wish I could have spoken to him. Hope he is successful in transforming the culture. Way too many technicians in bloated leadership positions that can't manage people.

Customer outcomes need to be put first over internal considerations.

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

"Couldn't be Happier"

Pros

MITRE treats its employees - not contracts - as the number one asset. I constantly feel like I am being nurtured, challenged, and rewarded for my effort. I admire my colleagues and managers. I am most happy that MITRE never compromises its ethics, and always reinforces its position as working in the public interest. I am also thrilled that MITRE has a number of education benefits that I can rely on should I go back to school.

Cons

*Few opportunities to relocate.
    *Compensation is average compared to industry, but low given how much we outclass similar organizations.

Advice to Management

One very important improvement I think ought to be made is better education on the topic of FFRDC work. The day or so of classes that new employees get, coupled with a couple hours of training a year, seems to be mismatched with the overall significance of this type of work.

"Excellent reputation , great place to work, good place to finish out your career."

Pros

MITRE has an excellent reputation in the federal gvernment. The name itself brings in new opportunities, and is good for your resume. MITRE is rebranding itself as a systems engineering resource for the governemnt. A good thing because this skill is in high demand. You don't need to be an engineer, but you wil lfit in if you are a systematic and collaborative technical thinker with altruistic and academic leanings. There are many opportunities for diverse assignments if you seek them out. "Work-Life balance" is not just a HR slogan but a true MITRE value. There are plenty of workaholics but they are doing what they enjoy. No one is forced to slave away at proposals on the weekend or market new business opportunities. You can really serve as an honest broker to the government. A good place for mid/late-career techie professionals wanting to help the government.

Cons

Promotions and lateral transfers are difficult. Management tends to be comprised of introverted technical types who have few management or people skills. The company is becoming top-heavy with integration directors and thought leaders who have lost touch with what is going on at the operational level. Site employees, even those with high clearances, are getting overlooked. Not a good place to work if you are a MBA graduate, ambitious, or entrepreneurial.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your staff who are working hard at the operational levels - they know more than you may think. Lose some of the hubris.