MITRE - Decline of focus on customers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

"Decline of focus on customers"

Pros

Reputation
Freedom from bias
Objectivity
Good work/life balance

Cons

Internal Politics
Too internally focused.
Easy for careers to stall, especially if you are not a friend of Al Grasso.

Advice to Management

Start to focus on the "why" we do what we done, not the "what" and "how". Diminish internal focus and process. Restore focus on the customers.

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

"Couldn't believe it..."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Nice office space. Many people seem friendly. Easy commuter location. Reasonable work hours. Very good CEO. Public interest work. Reputation.

Cons

Worked there over a decade, then stabbed in the back by subordinate who didn't get promoted into the position I filled. Chose not to defend myself and was told by my management the staff's problematic behavior would not be tolerated. Relied on management to handle the situation. Huge mistake, but learned what the mid-level leadership was like (self-focused).

Not a place where leadership cares or truth is supported. No longer a place where the customer comes first. I would not return for any reason.

Top 100 employer only for those who like office politics.

Advice to Management

Al is a wonderful leader and very capable, but the politics are very sad. Wish I could have spoken to him. Hope he is successful in transforming the culture. Way too many technicians in bloated leadership positions that can't manage people.

Customer outcomes need to be put first over internal considerations.

"Couldn't be Happier"

Pros

MITRE treats its employees - not contracts - as the number one asset. I constantly feel like I am being nurtured, challenged, and rewarded for my effort. I admire my colleagues and managers. I am most happy that MITRE never compromises its ethics, and always reinforces its position as working in the public interest. I am also thrilled that MITRE has a number of education benefits that I can rely on should I go back to school.

Cons

*Few opportunities to relocate.
    *Compensation is average compared to industry, but low given how much we outclass similar organizations.

Advice to Management

One very important improvement I think ought to be made is better education on the topic of FFRDC work. The day or so of classes that new employees get, coupled with a couple hours of training a year, seems to be mismatched with the overall significance of this type of work.