MITRE - Best place I've ever worked. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

"Best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Engineer

Pros

Close to the mission. Engaged on the top IT-related national challenges in partnership with the top government players. Unlike contractors, who compete for work, the government competes for MITRE support. MITRE puts the public interest and the mission first, along with its people. Sharing and teaming are remarkable. Helping each other is the corporate culture. Numerous nationally known experts. Challenging technical problems. Opportunities to make a difference. Great retirement benefits.

Cons

Occasional overconfidence at the top. Sometimes slow to change. Some old-time seniors need to be shuffled along to make way for young blood. In some areas, you have to become a manager to get promoted past the middle ranks. Others areas have rubust, career-long technical promotions with no need to become a manager to move up.

Advice to Management

Fix the senious problem that, in some parts of MITRE, you must become a manager to get promoted past the middle ranks. This is unconscionable in a company whose primary purpose is to provide top technical expertise.

Other Employee Reviews for MITRE

"Decline of focus on customers"

Pros

Reputation
    Freedom from bias
    Objectivity
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Internal Politics
    Too internally focused.
    Easy for careers to stall, especially if you are not a friend of Al Grasso.

Advice to Management

Start to focus on the "why" we do what we done, not the "what" and "how". Diminish internal focus and process. Restore focus on the customers.

"Couldn't believe it..."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Nice office space. Many people seem friendly. Easy commuter location. Reasonable work hours. Very good CEO. Public interest work. Reputation.

Cons

Worked there over a decade, then stabbed in the back by subordinate who didn't get promoted into the position I filled. Chose not to defend myself and was told by my management the staff's problematic behavior would not be tolerated. Relied on management to handle the situation. Huge mistake, but learned what the mid-level leadership was like (self-focused).

Not a place where leadership cares or truth is supported. No longer a place where the customer comes first. I would not return for any reason.

Top 100 employer only for those who like office politics.

Advice to Management

Al is a wonderful leader and very capable, but the politics are very sad. Wish I could have spoken to him. Hope he is successful in transforming the culture. Way too many technicians in bloated leadership positions that can't manage people.

Customer outcomes need to be put first over internal considerations.