MVM - good company | Glassdoor
  1. "good company"

Former Employee - PSO in Aguadilla, PR

I worked at MVM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

they pay hollydays , sick ,vacation

Cons

there is a good comp

Advice to Management

virginia, eeuu

MVM2019-06-11

"Personal thoughts of my first four months at MVM"

Current Contractor - Spanish Linguist in Houston, TX

I have been working at MVM

Pros

First of all, I’d like to point out that this is a four month review of my experience working with MVM as a contract Spanish Linguist. Also, as I only have experience working out of the Houston, TX office it is solely based on my experience there. As linguists we are tasked with transcribing, translating, revising, and even deciphering colloquial slang. Given that Spanish is diverse and spoken in so many different... countries that have their own local vocabulary and slang, it poses a challenge for those that are not exposed to how people from different countries speak the same language. Personally, based on my previous work experience and my major, this type of work is such a perfect fit for me and I couldn’t be anymore happier. I have worked on several different projects and I always look forward to the next one. In all my years of work this is definitely my favorite job and I wish I’d found MVM sooner. Regarding the office environment, the workspace is comfortable and the administrative staff are wonderful. I can definitely say that the Spanish team is a good team to work with, hard working, team players, always willing to learn and accept feedback when needed. The other language linguists have also been fantastic to meet and interact with. It is definitely an interesting environment to work in because you get to meet different people that speak different languages and have different backgrounds. My project manager is very approachable and easy to communicate with. Definitely a key component to being successful with MVM is communication. I have not experienced any sort of micromanagement even though projects have deadlines, but that is probably due to my proactivity in providing regular updates on the project(s) I may be working on. There is a great sense of community within the office. Although the administrative staff and linguists have separate workspaces, there are always opportunities to come together during office get togethers such as birthdays, ice cream socials, luncheons, potlucks, etc. I’d like to point out some of the challenges of the position and what it takes to be successful in this position. As this is a contract project-based position, it is a better fit for people that have another source of income such as a flexible work-from-home job, freelance projects, or for someone that is flexible and able to pick up projects with short notice and willing to stay on assignment for one to two months at a time, doing 40 hrs/wk and be conscious that a few weeks to a month could go by without an assignment. All of this is clearly explained from the very beginning of the recruitment process. I personally do remote interpretation to fill in the gaps between projects and it has worked really well for me. All of us have a learning curve when it comes to a new job, but some of us more than others. I believe that regardless of your level of experience, if you’re willing to work in a team environment, put in the effort, accept feedback and apply it to improve your performance and quality of work, you’ll be able to grow and it will become an enjoyable job. Deadlines can definitely become stressful and sometimes it seems that the work is too much, but I guarantee that it can be done within the timeframe proposed. No project is the same and you will be working with both audio and documents. Some audio will be fantastic to work with while other audio may seem like your biggest headache. You may be working on a translation project that is very simple and easy or a very technical document that requires expert knowledge and research skills. As all translations must be written in Standard English, syntax, grammar, and style must be taken into account as well as being able to convey the meaning rather than doing literal translations that will not make sense to the English-speaking client. Overall, I must say that I think joining MVM has definitely been a great decision for myself. I am doing a job I love and I feel like I am not only able to use my skills, but I am also growing as a translator. I feel that with every project I become more knowledgeable and there is never a dull moment with this type of work. I truly see myself being with the company for many years to come.

Cons

At this time I don't have any.

MVM2019-05-24
  2. "Nice company and good people"

Current Contractor - Linguist in Houston, TX

I have been working at MVM for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, respectful managers and comfortable and modern office.

Cons

Unpredictable work flow. Very short notice before you are awarded a contract.

MVM2019-09-23

Discover more reviews about MVM.