MZ - Machine Zone has a lot of ambition but requires complete commitment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MZ

"Machine Zone has a lot of ambition but requires complete commitment."

Former Employee - Backend Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Backend Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at MZ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The game and tech are ambitious and challenging. The people I worked with were knowledgable and competent. The compensation and benefits were excellent. They actually paid the bonuses they promised during the interview. They did at least try to work with me on the work/home balance issues.

Cons

The company is centered around people who are completely committed to the success of the company over anything else. Since so many of them spend so much time at work, the company makes efforts to provide small social opportunities daily and large ones reasonably frequently. This is a great environment, if you want to make friends at work and combine your social and professional lives. If you have a preexisting social or family life that is important to you or you just aren't very social, then the environment can feel isolating instead of inviting, like being a stranger in a large family's home.

They will try to work with you on the work/home balance issues, but the culture is still centered around presence. Management tends to rely on people they can walk up to and have a conversation with; they haven't really embraced chat or teleconferencing. If you cannot be in the office every day when the important decisions are happening, you lose effectiveness very quickly.

Also, operational and development responsibilities tend to fall in the same role for a component. Pretty much every engineer is effectively on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Start to split operational and development responsibilities and rotate people through them so that the same people are not expected to be available 100% of the time.

Allow space in the culture for people who want a separate social and professional life. Opting out of a social event should not automatically cause "Why aren't you doing...?" questions from everyone.

MZ Response

Oct 29, 2015 – Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for the positive feedback. We have worked hard to create an environment where talented people are excited about their work and the Company. We appreciate you taking the time to write a... More

Other Employee Reviews for MZ

"Initially really rough around the edges, the company has turned a corner."

I worked at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Amazing benefits. Overstocked kitchen, free lunch every day. Fringe benefits- massage, game night, big company parties, weekly prize wheel with serious prizes. Fairly flexible work hours, within reason. Two weeks off for Christmas two years in a row. Palo Alto location means perfect weather and vibrant startup scene. Hire top level talent. Very, very high level game performance in the app store. Management and CEO have a real handle on F2P market. Great HR staff, and tech guys.

Cons

Engineers and artists dislike being locked into roles. Not the best company for artists. CEO openly favors engineers and QA, and he is perceived as abrasive by the art staff. Most art decisions are filtered through people who have no art experience.

Advice to Management

Most problems the company used to have (excessive crunch time, hostile work environment, etc) have been solved with the release of the current flagship title. My advice would be to recognize the power of a well organized and loyal art team, rather than treat them like disposable contractors only hired out of necessity. Begin to think of developing a game that connects with users instead of aims to coerce addiction.

"This Company Cares!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Machine Zone is by far the best place I've worked for, in my career! I have been in the gaming industry for 8 years and have seen a lot of mismanagement, poor decisions and even lies. Machine Zone has always put their best foot forward in taking care of their employees. I've seen career growth for myself and others and the work is meaningful. From what I've experienced they care about their employees as much as the games they develop. Executive Team/Management is visible, approachable and hard working. Very collaborative environment.

Cons

Smaller company, which is not for everyone.

MZ Response

Oct 16, 2015 – Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for the positive feedback. We have worked hard to create a culture where talented people are excited about their work, feel valued and appreciated, and are optimistic about their career... More