MZ - Great place to grow | Glassdoor

"Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of advancement opportunities at Machine Zone as the company is growing. The work is fast paced so you will need to be passionate to keep up and push the boundaries. If you are then you will go a long way.

Machine Zone treats the employees well with compensation, events, social outings, and listening to what you want.

Cons

The only people I have seen leave the company were looking for a relaxed place where you can sit back and code for a few hours and go home. This place demands passion for the work and what we do. But on the plus side, everyone that is working here are talented, passionate, awesome people now.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, try not to let it become like a big company "Feel".

Oct 16, 2015 – Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. We agree our employees are talented and passionate, and Machine Zone strives to create a culture where employees feel valued and appreciated. Thank you for sharing some... More

Other Employee Reviews for MZ

"great ideas, terrible people"

I worked at MZ full-time

Pros

really interesting game concepts, talented art and design, fun team

Cons

founder was really erratic/manic, bordering on unstable. too demanding of team for low comp

Oct 26, 2015 – Global Head of People Operations

While you certainly have a right to your view of the company, candidates considering employment at Machine Zone require accurate and truthful information about the Company, our culture and our perks... More

"Machine Zone has a lot of ambition but requires complete commitment."

Former Employee - Backend Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Backend Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at MZ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The game and tech are ambitious and challenging. The people I worked with were knowledgable and competent. The compensation and benefits were excellent. They actually paid the bonuses they promised during the interview. They did at least try to work with me on the work/home balance issues.

Cons

The company is centered around people who are completely committed to the success of the company over anything else. Since so many of them spend so much time at work, the company makes efforts to provide small social opportunities daily and large ones reasonably frequently. This is a great environment, if you want to make friends at work and combine your social and professional lives. If you have a preexisting social or family life that is important to you or you just aren't very social, then the environment can feel isolating instead of inviting, like being a stranger in a large family's home.

They will try to work with you on the work/home balance issues, but the culture is still centered around presence. Management tends to rely on people they can walk up to and have a conversation with; they haven't really embraced chat or teleconferencing. If you cannot be in the office every day when the important decisions are happening, you lose effectiveness very quickly.

Also, operational and development responsibilities tend to fall in the same role for a component. Pretty much every engineer is effectively on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Start to split operational and development responsibilities and rotate people through them so that the same people are not expected to be available 100% of the time.

Allow space in the culture for people who want a separate social and professional life. Opting out of a social event should not automatically cause "Why aren't you doing...?" questions from everyone.

Oct 29, 2015 – Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for the positive feedback. We have worked hard to create an environment where talented people are excited about their work and the Company. We appreciate you taking the time to write a... More