MZ - Good company for people who want to grow and learn new tech | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MZ

"Good company for people who want to grow and learn new tech"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best mobile game companies in the world, and still growing really fast.
If you work hard, you get your chance (promotion, in charge of important project)
pretty flat management system
time-off policies are flexible
benefits are good

Cons

the office space is small because of so many new hires. (but The company will relocate soon)

Advice to Management

Keep the management flat, the company is doing games!

Oct 16, 2015 – Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for offering such great feedback. These are exciting times for Machine Zone, and we are thrilled that our employees are optimistic about their careers and the future of the company. We ... More

Other Employee Reviews for MZ

"Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of advancement opportunities at Machine Zone as the company is growing. The work is fast paced so you will need to be passionate to keep up and push the boundaries. If you are then you will go a long way.

Machine Zone treats the employees well with compensation, events, social outings, and listening to what you want.

Cons

The only people I have seen leave the company were looking for a relaxed place where you can sit back and code for a few hours and go home. This place demands passion for the work and what we do. But on the plus side, everyone that is working here are talented, passionate, awesome people now.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, try not to let it become like a big company "Feel".

Oct 16, 2015 – Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. We agree our employees are talented and passionate, and Machine Zone strives to create a culture where employees feel valued and appreciated. Thank you for sharing some ... More

"Good product but technically dysfunctional, no room for growth"

I have been working at MZ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good salary and benefits, just moved to a nice new office.
    - Very successful, no worries about job security.
    - Stable work hours.
    - Some coworkers are true experts that you can learn a lot from. MZ is not successful by accident.

Cons

- MZ reinvents the wheel over and over. Almost every code library used internally was custom written, and not usually an improvement over open source alternatives. Everything feels like legacy code and little is documented. Amazingly, many engineers think that our tech stack is so much superior to everyone else, arrogance that must come from lack of experience elsewhere.
    - Growing pains. Company has grown fast and hierarchy is emerging and becoming more complex. It may be hard to have an impact or have room to grow if the company can't keep up its rapid growth.
    - If you join now, outside of very senior positions your role will be very narrow. In some engineering teams creativity seems actively discouraged in favor of soldiers who can keep oiling the machine in highly specialized ways without question. Not good for long-term career prospects.

Advice to Management

Keep the startup feeling alive, it's slowly dying as the company grows.

Oct 19, 2015 – Global Head of People Operations

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Creating a positive environment for our employees is a top priority for Machine Zone, and we consider all feedback in our efforts to evaluate and ... More