Macy's - Its not too bad, but its a giant corporation, so it sucks | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Its not too bad, but its a giant corporation, so it sucks"

Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I love that's its super flexible... and there is room for advancing if you really want to... Employee discount is a nice bonus, but only 20%

Cons

Its a corporation. Its a corporation. Its a corporation. Need I say more? There's constantly lots of pressure from above to sell more, more more, more...

Advice to Management

Be more personal. Provide better training. Provide more positive feedback. Pay better and more competitive wages and you would have a higher retention rates of employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Very time consuming."

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great atmosphere and diverse environment. State street is a flag ship store so you get alot of traffic and tourists. Celebrities are bound to stop by also.

Cons

Schedule flexibility is horrible. Work life balance does not exist for management.

Advice to Management

Allow more vertical opportunities for advancement.

"Make sure you get everything in writing; if you get reviewed unfairly DO NOT SIGN."

Former Employee - Dream Job Turned Into A Nightmare in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Dream Job Turned Into A Nightmare in New York, NY

Pros

1. The pay was great compared to my previous company.
    2. Benefits were also good. The discounts were amazing.
    3. The opportunities to move around the company is great too.

Cons

1. Work/Life balance does not exist here. If you like your free time, look elsewhere. (I was there from 8am up to 7pm on a good day)
    2. Workload is beyond anything you could imagine (depends on the area). (I was in charge of Advertising/Marketing, training MA and trainee, packages, samples, entering orders etc. When the MA and trainee were fully trained and autonomous, I had to supervise still meaning I had to check over their work as per my buyer)
    3. HR is very young and do not listen to anything you have to say. My qualifications were not adequate for the role and it is something I brought up to HR several times. Nothing happened.
    4. I kept getting bad reviews from my boss because he did not want to help me out. He also wanted an all-girl team, unfortunately I wasn't anatomically correct for his team. I made the mistake of signing the performance reviews every time (3 total). Later I found out that if I wasn't satisfied with what was on it I didn't have to sign it.
    5. Preference is given to Executive Development graduates. This is what happened to me; there were not enough spots for outsiders and graduates so I was laid off to fill the spot. It was so unprofessional of them that the trainee took control over all day-to-day activities before I was let go...4 months before I was let go.
    6. Playing office politics and being liked by your boss (brown nosing) will get you where you want to go. Talent and skill do not have much to do with it.
    7. There are no buyers in Macy's, they're all financial analysts. The vendors for the most part choose what merchandise ends up on the floor at Macy's; when the buyers don't make plan the vendors give them money to make it up. How are you buying when the vendors make all decisions? When vendors cover your plan?

Advice to Management

Listen to your MAs and assistants. HR needs to be more hands on; training needs to be thorough; supervisors should be held more accountable for someone under them not performing or being laid off.