Macy's - Gained experience in the cosmetic sales industry | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Gained experience in the cosmetic sales industry"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Eatontown, NJ
Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Eatontown, NJ

Pros

Good pay
Vacation time and benefits

Cons

Not enough growth opportunity in company

Advice to Management

Be more fair towards employees needs and concerns

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "Not horrible, not great, bland."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chula Vista, CA

Pros

Employee discounts; some coworkers were really nice, shared tips and tricks on how to deal with situations; flexibility in choosing my own hours.

Cons

Besides the usual rude customers you find in retail, majority of coworkers were rude even when salary wasn't commission based. They would fight over sales and take away customers ringing the sale to their name even after reaching sales goals. No camaraderie between teammates. Managers were often rude to sales associates. My very first time closing a cashier I asked for help to a manager close by and was very rude about it not taking time to teach me, until one of older coworker in shoes department saw me struggling and offered to help me. I mention he is older because typically, at least at the store I worked in, those few who were nice were older sales associates.

Advice to Management

Don't be such in a hurry all the time and pay attention to sales associates who don't call you just to bother you, but actually in need of help. Sometimes associates are paired up with another associate who is just as new and clueless about the whole process that managers should be there to help and guide in a good mood.

2. "Okay for a minimum wage retail job, but nothing you can build a career on."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

Pros

Flexibility within departments enables you to really spend time with a customer instead of just being a cashier, which is really nice. The management can be very understanding about your personal life so if you're having a bad day, they get it. Occasional opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The senior staff will be dishonest about compensation, raises, time off, and whether or not we will get more staff. Right now my store is very understaffed and there are no plans to do anything about it. The customer service experience is rapidly going downhill, although there is chance for them to turn this around.

Advice to Management

If you want the customer service experience to get better, hire more staff! Employees don't mind spending time with them, we just can't do it by ourselves with all the other tasks we're expected to do.