Macy's - intresting | Glassdoor

"intresting"

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Albany, NY
Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Albany, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is a plus and in my position i don't have to work weekends unless i choose too, and macy's launched a new feature on insight witch is the employee connection called my schedule plus witch really makes life a little easier when you have the option to choose when to work

Cons

The hours available during the first four months of the year are awful because its slow

Advice to Management

Remember to treat your employees as you want to be treated because we are people too

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Dreadful"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aiea, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aiea, HI

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of clothes at Macy's that I love, and I really imagined myself working there happily.

Cons

The interview was really hard, especially for first timers, and those that do not have a confident attitude.

"Macy's Customer Service in Retail Services customer service, St Louis, MO .... More BAD than Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeton, MO

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a credit system that allows you the opportunities to take the day off or leave early without pay without being penalized. Plus paid time off after 6 months, and benefits after 30 days. The benefits are okay.

Cons

Wow, where can I start. The BAD constantly outweights the good here.

1) They claim that the pay is competitive to other call centers, NO it is not in the least bit competitive. Don't expect to be making any money there basically. They may start you out at a rate of 10+ dollars an hour, but forget about getting a compariable raise based on performance. I think the most someone has gotten an hour for a yearly raise was 30 cents more an hour which does not even help with the cost of living rising more and more every year. They prefer to promote lower level associates with less seniority to supervisors because then they don't have to pay the more senior associates any extra. The cap for a base level associate is about $12 an hour and cap for supervisors is about $16 an hour which really poor pay given there are other call centers around in the area that start base level associates over $14 a hour to start.

2) If you are white, forget about getting anywhere there, because YOU WILL BE A MINIORITY.

3) Favoritism runs like a marathon through there. If your manager or a manager does not like you, forget about getting anywhere or even asking to switch a day off. Certain managers and supervisors will protect their favorites to the point of jeaporizing their own jobs even if the associate they are protecting is consistently voliating a major company policy. They also like to fire like it is a fashion trend. It'll go months without anyone being let go then the firing frenzy begins. It's like they want to put people in fear for their job. I have seen them walk out entire teams including the supervisor for accusations.

4) If you are opinionated, this is not the job for you. This all goes back to #3. If you speak up about anything or disagree with a manager, you might as well wear a scarlet letter to work everyday.

5) No managment enforce on customer policies, fraud, and promotion abusers. They let know you if a customer is an abuser or fraud if it is brought to their attention, but forget about any thing being done about it especially if the customer keeps coming back. They will just continue to allow the abuser and fraud to occur.

6) The longer you are there the more responsibilty you can take on, but forget about getting any additional compension for it. They like to work you to the bone and getting nothing more for it.

7) They recruit these managers straight out of college who have no experience, no retail experience, and not a clue.

Advice to Management

Restructure the pay scale because it is not competitve. Allow opportunities to advance with pay comparible to the responsibly that an associate can take on. Hire within instead of outsourcing managers with no experience straight out of college. Make managers and supervisors accountable for everything they do and what they do for their associates. If you know an associate is constantly violating a company policy and the manager/supervisor is aware of the situation, has done nothing about it, and possibly protecting that associate from termination, hold them accountable for all their actions even if it means walking all 3 out.

Please start CARING MORE about your employees!!! In a few weeks, you will lose one of your best employees that would have bend over backwords for your company, but your managers would never let me get anywhere because I wasn't on any of their favorite's lists.