Macy's - I felt that I was just another employee that they can swindle. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"I felt that I was just another employee that they can swindle."

Former Employee - Recovery Position in Glendale, CA
Former Employee - Recovery Position in Glendale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are able to slack off on the job, since there is no constant supervision.

Cons

Very few hours (max: 16 hrs per week)
Managers make you feel awful about yourself.
Don't accomodate to students that have class on Fridays and Saturdays. Hence, the reason why they layed me off.
Don't train new employees properly.

Advice to Management

Visit the Macy's in the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, CA. Store is always flithy, and they don't train their new employees properly. I learned everything on my own, and from asking my co-workers.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "my experience was good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the respect that your peers give you is good

Cons

standing for long periods of time,rude customers, not getting awarded for things

Advice to Management

nothing

"Downwardly Mobile"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Christiana, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Christiana, DE

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sales jobs at macys help employees develop the ability to interact with customers in ways that cannot be learned anyywhere but in a fast paced many customer environment. If an employee is intellecutally curious (most are not) they can learn significant knowledge about products,production, pricing, and human behaviour. To do this one must think for oneself and not believe all the company propaganda as truth.

Cons

Management is attempting to save on long term employment costs by firing as many people as possible via methods such as strict time keeping standards that do not accept doctors notes, show storms, family death as excuses. Employees are often treated in demeaning manners. Store manager Kathy Weaver was so vile in her treatment of people in our store that many worked on the selling floor in tears. She threatened to fire people almost daily. Weaver also strictly rationed food at company events. Employees were constantly monitored. Extreme favoritism. Macy's only wants newly hired people. The longer that one works there, the worse that they are treated. Management bonuses maximized at government expense. They take the tax incentives to hire new people , pay very little, and push experienced tenured people to the door. Payroll costs go down, bonuses go up, and more of our staff are on medicaid & food stamps. We have had homeless people on staff.