Macy's - Great People-Great Business | Glassdoor

"Great People-Great Business"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Muncie, IN
Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people-great customer service
Great Discount
Many hours available-easy management to deal with
Easy Application/interview process
Enjoy working hard

Cons

Long hours
Required to work ten hours for Black Friday- no exceptions
Some areas are based on commission- makeup, fragrance, women's shoes

Advice to Management

All management I dealt with has been extremely friendly, keep up the high standards for your company and employees

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "Don't expect to be appreciated for your work!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Battle Creek, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Battle Creek, MI

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun if you like retail

Cons

The entire time I was there I felt like I was putting on a front to customers. I was dressed in my all black work clothes looking like i earn enough money, trying to get them to buy $100 4oz bottle of perfume like it was nothing while I'm making minimum wage.

1.Minimum wage ($7.40hr here in Michigan) (my smallest check was $32, my biggest was $172 and that week was my last and i added extra hours on my week. Yep that was my take home pay on the week that I made them $5,300 in sales in just the 13 hrs I worked that week)

2.They don't like to give you more than 15 hours per week so if you're working at $7.40 an hour you'll earn $111 max and that's not including taxes & other crap they take out of your paycheck!

2.Manager is NEVER around so all your hard work isn't recognized and even when you tell them what you did it's not appreciated.

3.Employee's behind the clinique counter & estee lauder counter are snoody & WILL steal your customers (if you work in fragrances) without remorse and try bullying you into staying from behind their counter or helping their customers even whey they are busy. Also their top sales woman isn't very nice to new people.

4.Manager plays "favorites" so if you aren't his "friend" and just an "employee" don't expect to be around after the season or get more hours.

5. Top sales woman in fragrances complained about being put behind the fragrance counter just so they wouldn't promote her.

6. They say you can add extra hours to your shift which is true, however your manager will take a majority of them away without even telling you and give them to his friends in your face. (that was my experience)

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employee's hard work. If your stores can sell expensive items you could afford to at least pay your employee's $10 or $11hr. People are trying to make a living to feed their families!! You need full time opportunities as well.

2. "It a learning experience, especially for colleges students."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexible schedule and the associate discount .

Cons

The commission , it can work for some department but no for all.

Advice to Management

Need to review how the commission works for some departments, because for some department it may work well but for other it all about DEFICIT for the employee.