Macy's - Poor hours, poor opportunities for advancement, and poor benefits at Macy's. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Poor hours, poor opportunities for advancement, and poor benefits at Macy's."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy's is a charitable company, which is something I can certainly admire. Also, managers tend to be more laid back, and I found the managers were less likely to micromanage their employees than any other company I've ever worked for.

Cons

The hours are very poor for most employees. There's a lot of on-call employees who are lucky to get any hours at all, and even as a part-time manager I struggled to get hours. I got as little as 14 hours a week... as a manager! Macy's also doesn't offer insurance to it's on-call and part-time employees, which make up the majority of their workforce. Additionally, opportunities for growth and advancement are poor.

Advice to Management

The on-call hours don't work for most employees. People only take those on-call jobs because it's the best they can hope for in our hopeless economy. But it sucks when managers know they have good employees, and yet can't offer them the hours they need to survive and pay their bills. I was a top performer at Macy's but I never felt like I was cared for. I want to feel like I'm important as a person, including who I am outside of work. I didn't feel that way at Macy's, and therefore, you lost me to one of your competitors. Macy's needs to spend more time treating their employees right and gaining their loyalty.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "very easy. fun, exciting and fun people"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun, good discounts.flexible schedule and yea

Cons

low pay,bad management. low pay

Advice to Management

idk

2. "unorganized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

freedom to be creative within reason

Cons

The workload is impossible to complete when you are an hourly manager or associate. Many associates/managers work off the clock or do not take lunches due to the pressure of completing the job. Often times, depending on the store, the atmosphere is negative and the morale is low.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to develop your leaders and hold people accountable for their jobs/tasks. Also, those team members in management that are doing an exceptional job, THANK them! It is just as important to recognize the leaders in the stores as it is the associates.

Secondly, the company needs to to be better at organization and communication.