Macy's - They wouldn't give me any hours because I did not work on Black Friday | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"They wouldn't give me any hours because I did not work on Black Friday"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, fun environment if you like working with people. Very flexible shifts make it easy to work here as a part time second job type of situation. Training was good, and management was friendly, at least at the North Park Mall location where I worked.

Cons

Very little support during your first shifts on the sales floor during the Christmas shopping season. Several times, I had issues that I did not yet know how to handle, and when I would look around for a senior associate to ask questions of, there was often no one to be found. Also, seniors took over the sales that I initiated! By that, I mean, I was showing an expensive watch to a gentleman, and as he was handing it to me to make the purchase, suddenly the lady I was working with, who was a full time employee, decided to "help me", meaning that she rang up the sale under her employee number and got the credit for it. I was told that I'd be in Watches, but if the regular employees wanted to do watches, they would send me to scarves or purses or some area that would not likely have many purchases for Christmas.

Advice to Management

Provide more assistance to new hires during their first 20 hours as a sales associate. If you assign an associate to a particular area, make sure that the seasoned employees don't get to over-ride your decision!

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"1 Year in my life I wish I could take back."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Met some really cool people.
    Was able to see sales before they went public

Cons

Managers never listen to you
    Store manager is a pain in the ass
    Security is a joke
    Customers are so pissy

Advice to Management

Get a life!

2. "Positive experience"

Former Employee - Sales/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a big place as everyone knows so you can start off small and set your sites for something bigger. Lots of variety in such a big store. You can start in regular sales & end up in commission sales, office position, management,etc.. If you have a good manager that recognizes good work and you apply yourself its good. I was never bored. When I was there they had a "Flyer" squad where you would get to work in a different aera most every day-so if you get bored easily thats a good place to be. They have decent benifits.

Cons

You must join a union if you start off in sales and want to stay beyond your trial. You may get stuck with a bad manager that does not work well with so many personalities. If you want a slow pace - choose your department/section carefully.

Advice to Management

From what I saw not so bad until your higher ups want something done after your stock people are gone & you have no choice but to do it yourself. You please your uppers but, will get 'written up' and have an incident record that you went against 'The Union' not too sure what happens after or if you get "too many"- this of course applies to 'floor managers'