Macy's - They wouldn't give me any hours because I did not work on Black Friday | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"They wouldn't give me any hours because I did not work on Black Friday"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, fun environment if you like working with people. Very flexible shifts make it easy to work here as a part time second job type of situation. Training was good, and management was friendly, at least at the North Park Mall location where I worked.

Cons

Very little support during your first shifts on the sales floor during the Christmas shopping season. Several times, I had issues that I did not yet know how to handle, and when I would look around for a senior associate to ask questions of, there was often no one to be found. Also, seniors took over the sales that I initiated! By that, I mean, I was showing an expensive watch to a gentleman, and as he was handing it to me to make the purchase, suddenly the lady I was working with, who was a full time employee, decided to "help me", meaning that she rang up the sale under her employee number and got the credit for it. I was told that I'd be in Watches, but if the regular employees wanted to do watches, they would send me to scarves or purses or some area that would not likely have many purchases for Christmas.

Advice to Management

Provide more assistance to new hires during their first 20 hours as a sales associate. If you assign an associate to a particular area, make sure that the seasoned employees don't get to over-ride your decision!

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Horrible pay for too much work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discounts on merchandise is the best part of the job.

Cons

Horrible training, management doesn't care about you nor know your name, horrible communication between employees and managers. Most of the time, you are just a name, nobody cares to know you unless you do it yourself. I was literally thrown onto the sales floor by myself right after my first training because someone else did not show up to work. I had no idea what I was doing, and management never explained what a day's work looked like if you have never had any experience working in a department store. They expect you to meet sales goals with no commission or advancement promised.

Advice to Management

Training with a machine for 8 hours does not cut it, managers need to spend some one on one time with each employee showing them how to do simple things, like take off a stupid sensor!

2. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Room for growth in within Marketing and Merchandise
    - Decent Benefit's
    - Diversity and open communication is encouraged

Cons

- Certain areas with in the company do not pay according to industry standards
    - Need to provide better benefits
    - In order to move up a good work life balance is no longer an option

Advice to Management

Activate on key learnings from employee feedback.