Macy's - This is a great company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"This is a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Checker/Marker in Secaucus, NJ
Current Employee - Checker/Marker in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, and good compensation,,, flexible hours...

Cons

little breaks, constant standing, buses run slow... no benefits

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Good people, But Just not Worth it"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the people and it is challenging to coach and groom associates. Solid people and structured hiring to find decent people. (Only hire for yourself, not other managers Please!) Big focus on credit and the coaching binder. If you are in a good Store there are opportunities, if you are in a small store, be ready to settle

Cons

I did not sign up to do book reports each week. I have 35 associates and the expectation is that I will spend time doing activities with them each week and then go and write reports on what I have done. All this in addition to regular job duties....while being coached on expectations by learning and development people who had never been in your shoes.

PAY ME, I manage 10M in sales, my salary is less than a half percent of the sales that I am responsible for.

Expectations are set a year in advance. They can plan to do high growth in vendors and when something outside of your control goes wrong you are still responsible for those results which drive your reviews and determine your raises. Why do I get penalized when I am out trending last year but not making plan because someone in the district office had lofty expectations for a vendor and it didnt turn out?

Advice to Management

Nothing will ever be enough, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You can be #1 and people will constantly ask you what you can do to squeeze that last drop of productivity, credit app or sale out of a high performing associate. I understand the process but nothing is ever good enough. We wonder why people get burnt out and this is the reason. Competition within the store is great but take a break every now and then to focus on what is going right, it will help morale.

"It has CHANGED"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount. The people are great. I love the clothes. The work is fun and we communicate well.

Cons

There are no areas of pride and you dont own your department anymore. The new schedualing system is terrible. We dont have a personal relationship with managment anymore.

Advice to Management

Bring back the areas of pride and give associates a LIVEABLE wage.