Macy's - "Good Management Experience but Retail is not for me" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

""Good Management Experience but Retail is not for me""

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hayward, CA
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hayward, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

-Room for career advancement for ambitious, successful managers
-Compensation and benefits are fair and raises/bonuses are performance based
-Autonomous work environment allows you to develop your personal management style
-Friendly, diverse and open work environment

Cons

-Work life balance in retail management is tough and doesn't get better when looking for career advancement
-Little follow through and feedback from upper management on the practices that are supposed to grow the company
-"Drama" and "gossip"
-pushed to open credit accounts with many customers who probably can't afford it and shouldn't be using credit

Advice to Management

-Spend more time teaching and following up on company directives that are designed to grow the business and the quality of managers/employees
-Upgrade the database system so that Sales Managers can easily find the information needed to affect their business
-drop the "cheesy" slogans and give associates honest and direct feedback

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. "Have Worked in Luxury Retail for 7 years. Worked For Holiday Season in Sales in Fine Jewelry. An eye opener."

Former Employee - Holiday Help Fine Jewelry Department in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees receive a 20% discount only if they have an existing Macy's credit card or qualify to receive one.

Cons

There are plenty of cons working at Macy's. Many of the existing salespeople are abusive towards new employees and holiday help. On three occasions while attending to a customer a salesperson would interrupt and be rude. On all three occasions the client reported the abuse to the manager. Yes, the manager spoke to the employee but there were no consequences. The training is minimal and there are times if you are not familiar with the POS system you need help. Good luck trying to find an employee to help with the transaction. Pay is minimal and yet the goals are ridiculous to achieve. There is no emphasis to display merchandise in a professional manner and the sales and coupons are a gimmick.

Advice to Management

Create a zero tolerance anti-bullying policy. Schedule enough employees to work shifts. I can't tell you how many times shifts were understaffed and when customers wanted to be waited on the manager in the office advice was tell the customer to wait. You can't imagine how many sales were lost due to poor scheduling. There is no customer service. The Fine Jewelry Department registers lacked the basics such as business cards, pens and paper. The jewelry is never cleaned and the diamonds are cloudy, the silver is tarnished and the main objective is to open credit cards and to sell extended service plans. The watch department is ridiculous if a client wants links removed. It is timely and the salesperson loses time removing links which should be done by a professional. The schedule is ridiculous. If you work for the holidays you are given last shifts no one wants such as working at 4pm to after midnight or starting work at 6am.

2. "Wonderful management, low pay, occasional hard manual labor"

Former Employee - Merchandising Associate in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Merchandising Associate in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management of my store was superb. I generally enjoyed the working environment.

Cons

The pay of my position was low. Occasionally an opportunity would come up for a lead position and I was welcome to interview but unfortunately, I had an incident which sprained my neck and kept me in bed for a few weeks, so I was not in physical condition to raise through the ranks.

Advice to Management

Hire a strong male or two whose main job is to lift and push the heavy things.