Macy's - Macy's, a good company to work for as a stepping stone for a career in retail. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Macy's, a good company to work for as a stepping stone for a career in retail."

Current Employee - Associate Planner in New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate Planner in New York, NY

Pros

This company is very meaningful to other employers in the retail industry. Macy's has an excellent executive training program and effectively prepares young executives for a successful career in retail.

Cons

Macy's pay is not always commiserate with experience and the market.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Senior management is very inclined to interact with employees on all levels at Macy's.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"Not so glamorous at Macy's, don't be fooled!"

Former Employee - Group Sales Manager in Mays Landing, NJ
    Former Employee - Group Sales Manager in Mays Landing, NJ

Pros

The best reasons to join Macy's East store are also the downsides. The discount is great, 20% off and employees are rewarded for exceeding sales and credit goals with 'Macy Money' (coupons that never expire and can be used on ANY merchandise). However, you MUST use your Macy's credit card (issued to you at time of hire) to receive any and all employee discounts. Of course, if you pay off the balance every month it would not be an issue.

Also, depending on what department you are in you could be living a dream or a nightmare. This is true for management and sales associates. For those selected to work in level 2 or level 2 commission areas, Macy's can be very enjoyable and even pay pretty well.

I was compensated decently, $38K for a level 1 group sales manager (department manager) but put in many hours and 8 weeks of training out of state because they did not have a training program in South NJ.

Cons

The discounts and 'Macy Money' paired with the Macy's credit card is actually a downside disguised as a benefit/reward. Macy's wants you to spend above your means and buy their 'aspiration brands' (Ed Hardy, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren etc.) and accrue interest on their credit cards. Not to mention that your reward for a job well done is basically a thinly veiled attempt to get you to dump your paychecks back into the store!

Again, depending on what department you are employed in you could find yourself loathing the job. I managed a 'level 1' department so my sales associates made minimum wage ($7.50, and you would think a huge department store would pay above the bare minimum) for a very grueling job. I worked many hours (salaried) but mainly because the turnover in sales associates was extremely high leaving me with huge gaps in floor coverage. Also, a manager works 9 hour days with a 1 hour break but it is frowned upon to just work the 9 hour day. As a department manager you are pressured into working 10 to 11 hour days by upper management. It's a very under-handed tactic to get the maximum amount of grunt work out their salaried employees.

Oh, and be prepared to be watched like a hawk by security. Most of Macy's store theft is committed by employees so the security team is more interested in apprehending employees than shoplifters.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to re-think and restructure Macy's from the ground up. Poor employee retention at the lowest level (sales associates) affects customer satisfaction and management. Make your employees happy and profits will grow!

2. "Outstanding? I think not."

Current Employee - Cosmetic Department Counter Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Cosmetic Department Counter Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Experience with a diverse group of customers.

Cons

No sense of communication other than always asking how many new macys charge cards have I opened. My manager never told me important information. My biggest issue with Macy's is that all of the leadership has been taken out of the store. Everyone's schedules are made by people in Atlanta that have no idea what our actual traffic flow is. A monkey could make better schedules. It seems I am constantly overstaffed in my department when I need not be and nobody can meet sales goals and when I can use the staff I am overwhelmed and customers complain. Assistant store managers have too much stress and not enough support.

Advice to Management

Focus more on making employees feel important rather than only rattling off sales plan numbers and telling us what we're doing wrong. No positive reinforcement. People live in fear of corporate visits.