Macy's - Fabulous Fun in Fashion | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

"Fabulous Fun in Fashion"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well organized large company, vibrant work arena, Seasonal participation makes the season bright, moderately flexible schedule and the ability to manipulate the schedule. Training is exciting and positive, coaching is provided. Lots of encouragement from all managers outside of my own, see coaching details in Cons area. Policy is written and available to every employee. Computer access to schedule and other business documents. Direct deposit, charitable contributions encouraged, dinners hosted by each department with proceeds going to our various charities. Macy's is very devoted to their charities.

Cons

Pay is really quite low, however, with longevity one will experience raises and benefits. Flexible scheduling is limited, all associates must be available for all open hours on weekends and key days. This works out to be three out of four weekends worked per month if you know the right tricks, the ins and outs of the scheduling system. Otherwise, you simply work every weekend.

Regarding training, the classes are motivational and really geared me up. My experience on the floor when I arrived at my first day on the sales floor was much different than promised. My training associate said, "Well, there ya go," and I was left alone. I had to ask for the time promised to observe and get my feet wet. I think I saw three or four transactions and was left again. I did survive but I have heard this story from every associate I have asked. This would be a great opportunity for improvement for Macy's. Perhaps it was just that location. Please read my story with a positive outlook. Maybe yo can be the one to create change!

Regarding coaching, this is another opportunity for improvement. It is not the positive reinforcement I thought it was going to be. Rather, it is very depressing and frightening because goals are always set for 10% higher than last year's sales. If the store is down as a whole, I don't understand how to make the numbers. Again, there are lots of people who do. I just prefer to be customer oriented rather than numbers oriented.

Territorial is a good description for sales persons that have been employed a length of time. It can be difficult to get your numbers in this type of arena.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

"It wasn't bad, but not great either"

Former Employee - Ladies Commisioned Shoes in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Ladies Commisioned Shoes in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked in Shoe department so commission was nice.
    Men's shoes 3% commission + base pay
    If you want to switch shifts, it's all done online.
    Good online site with access to many resources

Cons

Women's shoe had an hourly draw which was pretty ridiculous to meet most of the time in the area that I worked.
    Dead end job pretty much

Advice to Management

Change the commission structure. Not much else to say, it's a huge retail corporation.

"Give those in comissioned areas a fair chance!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

- Great discounts (20% + any coupons)
    - flexible hours, easy to get rid of shifts
    - managers are pretty laid back
    - paid time off
    - holiday pay

Cons

- having 13+ employees in a small department (M. Shoes) on a single day is crazy
    - hours are scarce, yet they keep hiring more
    - unless youre aggressive and dont care about everyone hating you, you wont make much comission at all
    -management doesnt really care
    ---- annoying having to hassle every customer and nearly beg them to open a macys credit card---
    ^ One of the worst parts

Advice to Management

You're doing it wrong